Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 EA81 New CV Axle Issues

Hey there, 

I recently ordered some replacement CV axles for both the front driver and passenger sides. I measured the old ones and since they were so

beat up I wasn't super accurate with my measurements.

I purchased new Surtrack axles online, the number of splines matched up and the length seemed right. However when I got them at my house 

I compared them to the old ones and they were apx. 2" longer, I thought I would try them anyways and though maybe they will compress more with some weight and and pressure. 

I got one in and it is definitely to long. I can get it into the steering knuckle and through the bearing all the way and put a axle nut on it all the way

and get the other end on as well. The issue is now my steering knuckle is being pushed too far out from the control arm and ball joint. 

Does anyone have experience buying new axles for this model 1985 GL Hatchback 4spd Manual HI/LOW 4x4 1.8 OHV?

Every store online that their axle will fit and has the correct splines but they are all 27 13/32 - 27 3/8 and I believe I need something closer to 25 3/8 - 26 3/8. 

If anyones has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get this Subie out on the Minnesota streets and lakes before

the weather gets to warm!

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...