Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo conversion considerations re vacuum tasks

for those of you having converted NA to turbo - did youse include some sort of turbo specific brake booster non return valve to save the diaphragm getting blasted the wrong way or isolate the boost from blowing out dash vent vacuum controls ?

The brake booster hose already has a check valve so that it will hold vacuum even with the engine isn't building it.

I hadn't considered the HVAC stuff, although I'd be willing to bet there's a similar system there, otherwise your HVAC controls would only work at closed throttle.

The brake booster hose already has a check valve so that it will hold vacuum even with the engine isn't building it.

I hadn't considered the HVAC stuff, although I'd be willing to bet there's a similar system there, otherwise your HVAC controls would only work at closed throttle.

True, but IIRC, it's a different type of check valve.

As far as the EA81 stuff, there is no check valve or vacuum canister. At least, not on the Brat, hatch or coupe. Cars that had the push button controls got a vacuum canister because there were more vacuum pods in operation.

True, but IIRC, it's a different type of check valve.

What other type of check valve is there? A check valve is a check valve, it can be installed 2 ways, but regardless of whether the engine is generating boost or not, you still need vacuum in the booster, so the check valve is un-changed.

I have turbo'd several non-turbo EJ cars, none have needed any modifications for the brake booster.

Most of the GM stuff from the 80's that was turdo'd required a special check valve. I don't know exactly what was special about it, but it was different from our other na valves. It might have been a GM thing. Our engineers tend to do weird sh*t. Good to know when I finally drop my EJ in my XT that I don't have to worry about it.

mmm....thanks for the comments ...I do have a brake booster hose from EA82 turbo XT that has a yellow sticker warning to only use genuine part or the like, has a valve inserted safely out of reach inside. Planning to use it ...when I finally EA82T my Brumby. I also have the EA82/ L Series vacuum doo dad white plastic cannister thingy from what not sure, NA or turbo so will investigate its origins