Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY: Cheapest Engine Oil Extractor (Subaru has Top Filter)

Interesting, but with all the screwing around with  a vacuum cleaner, small hoses, and tape, I think I will continue to change my oil the old fashion way of pulling the drain plug.

yes, the hardcore DIY will still do the old fashion way, but I hope this method will enable other people who otherwise not DIY.

• 1 year later...

I used a professional style siphon pump, made by Sampson. Had an air powered pump. Cost like $1,500 for the whole setup and when it came down to it the thing was a POS. Oil had to be HOT for it to work any kind of quick, thick Diesel oil, forget it. Oil changes would take 40 mins with it... And that is something made for the job

Oil/fluid extractors generally only work when the oil is hot. If the oil is cold you can forget about using them entirely. I use a fluid extractor on boats with inboard engines due to the difficulty of reaching the oil drain plug and cleaning up the oil afterward. Takes about an hour to pull 6qts of cold 15w40 marine engine oil out.

It's not that quick. It's a 14' Legacy, would have to raise it on the ramps, which is possible, but still a bit tricky with the low air dam on front. And what happens with that proudly stickong Fumoto if it gets hit by some debri on the road?

It takes 5.1 Qts - 1 gallon bottle is not enough.

I already have the extractor.

It has oil filter at the top under the hood,

and unless there is some other reason to get under the car, why bother?