Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 VW Frankenmotor project

Tony_de_whitt

Hello folks

I'm new to the forum. I'm currently running an ej22 in my syncro which I must add I'm very impressed with.

I also have a VW doka. (Dual cab ute) which I use for work. The old tired 2.1 engine struggles when fully loaded so a transplant is in order.

My plan is to do a franken motor and run it in the doka. Keeping the wiring the same for both vehicles and ultimately if all goes well swap the engines and run the frankenmotor in my 4wd.

Ok so my knowledge on Subaru motors is ok but not great.

I currently have 2 engines sitting on engine stands in the garage. Heads stripped off both motors.

The DOHC ej25 has heads removed and I plan on using the case from ej25 with heads from ej22.

Heads from ej 22'currently in machine shop getting a makeover.

I'm sure I will have a fair few questions if you guys don't mind. And I know this has been covered many times before but thought starting a thread would be easier and info specific to my project all in one spot.

My initial questions are these.

First of all are all ej25 quad cam engines good for this conversion. The one I have is from a 1997 outback.

Are all ej22 heads also the same and good for this conversion?

When comparing the 2 engines stripped down a couple of things I've noticed.

Gaskets are slightly different and I've read a few different views on this. Do I use ej22 head gaskets which I've got and drill out to match the old ej25 gasket.

Or

Do I buy and use ej25 head gaskets.?

Also it looks like the belt tensioner safe different and the new tensioner that I have got with my new ej22 cam belt won't fit into the ej25 tensioner set up.

Am I ok to use the existing ej25 tensioner with ej22 belt?.

Those are my questions for now and thanks in advance for your replies.

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...

Headgaskets have to match the bore of the block.

Timing belt tensioner bracket bolts to the block, so you can change it if you'd prefer to run the old style tensioner with the seperate cylinder instead of the one integrated into the arm. It's a year change design thing, not a 2.2l vs 2.5l.

What year EJ22 heads?

Why not run the complete 97 EJ25? There should be plenty of space in a Doka engine bay for the DOHC heads.