Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FINALLY back in a GL..

hello all fellow classic Sooby admirers and owners! I've been searching/lurking for an old Subaru for years..grew up driving tons of these as a kid..ALWAYS loved em..i had NO clue how hard they would be to find nowadays..wow..but glad to be back..looking forward to gathering more info and maybe find what parts on these are hard to find/etc..thanks all! glad to be on board! i JUST rescued a 1984 gl 4x4 from the wreckers in Oregon today!! 14 hours of driving later..even has clean title..wow. motor's "blown" the guy said..oh well..

post-62173-0-63680000-1457247393_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah the sad part about owning and keeping vintage Subarus is how quickly generations disappear. We folks in the rust zones are lucky to see first gen. Legacys let alone Loyales , and back.

There's pockets of hoarders that eventually their stuff trickles out. You folks with the EA81's and newer have it much easier than us 70's folks. My advice is grab the best parts now for stock, if you have space. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Thanks Moosens! Good advice..I definitely will be looking for all the old parts I can get lucky enough to stumble across..getting tougher than I thought! I got lucky on this gem..my coworker happened to know a guy who had it just gathering dust on his property! It was a few days away from gettin crushed.. I'm not sure whether I should pull the ea81 and tear it down for rebuild..OR do this EJ22 swap..but we will see..I'm in no hurry..Thanks again and looking forward to learning as I go! Love these old soobys

Right!

The Older Subarus are dropping off the planet. Or maybe the word is out. 

A few years back, maybe a decade they were a dime a dozen in Southern California ( Ok $500.00 and Rust Free) but now they are getting harder to find,

I love the GL and had a hard time to find our newest. 

Preppng the car now for the travel up the 5 to Wa, I hear there's quite a bit up there. 

I had to travel a mere 135 Miles. 

Brokenneckj