Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I did it

Hi guys. My name's Russ and I bought a Baja yesterday. 03 sport with manual trans, 136k. First impression: It's smaller than I expected but that's fine with me. Certainly doesn't feel like 3700lbs.

20160305_182523-1.jpg

This is my first Subaru but third Boxer engine: I also have a 1970 Beetle and 01 BMW R1200C. yes, I know I have eccentric tastes.

The bad: leaking head gaskets  (losing oil externally. *gasp* in an EJ251? NO, you don't say). It's crossed my mind to pay someone to do it but that just rubs me wrong so I'll most likely do it myself (HG and bolts from six-star via awd autos, everything else victor-reintz or other name brand from rockauto).

• Like 2

The single colour bajas look nice, I can't stand the silver two tone ones... Also those rims look really awesome with the blue. It sounds like you're mechanically inclined, just do the headgaskets yourself. It's a fairly easy job.

Also, you have one of the best motorcycles, although my dream bike is still an old R60...

Yep, the single-color doesn't emphasize the plastic cladding as much. Some combinations don't look too bad, some do...

After putting the beetle engine back together and in (and firing and running well enough to drive around pretty much immediately :D ) I got the Baja on the lift:

-Already knew about multiple hard-to-pinpoint oil leaks.

-Exhaust and undercarriage looks pretty good (I'm used to Chicago-area rust boxes)

-rotated the tires, noise is just from them being slightly worn AT tires. wheel bearings are good, brakes are good.

-both front inner CV boots are split. one doesn't have a spray pattern (been cleaned since it tore!) the other has left it's messy mark.

-struts look original, feel it too.

So, ordered $800 in parts last night with decisions to make before ordering more.

struts... I don't plan on going to coilovers. I do plan on hauling on occasion (like my 550lb motorbike). I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer (but stock height) rear spring. For the struts themselves, any suggestions on something that's OE fitment but better than run-o-the-mill stuff from parts stores (gabriel, monroe, KYB gr-2 or gas-a-just)?

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome! I'm a flat engine guy myself with my huge collection of Subarus and my 1978 BMW R80/7.

Having worked for ALL Wheel Drive Auto in the past, they use the best parts and I love that they sell complete kits online. You don't have to replace the head bolts though, just grease the threads and washers up and reuse them.

• Like 2