Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Chupacabra -lifted 95 imp

Fubaru

I picked up a project from a guy in Southwest Va that gave up on it and bought a wrx. It has its issues but I'm pretty sure most of the hard part is done. He put a forester lift and tires on it as well as front brakes. The rear wheels still don't look centered and it accelerates rough (posted elsewhere). Will post pics soon.

• Like 1

You can use outback or forester trailing arms as both are longer than the impreza arms the outback are longer again than the forester arms from memory.

Looks like a great project good luck with it.

TOONGA

The arms are the same. It's the Trailing arm brackets that are different.

QD Sway Bar links were easy enough. I still want to shorten the pin shafts and the wire locks so they aren't a snag point. Attempted to change the O2-sensor and the old one came out way too easy.... With the bung attached. Looks like a new cat is going to take priority. post-26180-0-99959100-1458679462_thumb.jpegpost-26180-0-27759400-1458679484_thumb.jpeg

Simple enough.

Got the cat off the car, gutted it, welded the bung back in and re-installed the exhaust today. Car still runs like crap (different post) but I finally found (and ordered) luggage rack crossbars that allegedly fit as well as a fumoto valve to hasten oil changes.

.....baby steps.

Crossbars came in. They're not "universal" enough. There is no way to attach the rear bar due to no rear door jamb for the clamp to hook on. Well, when in doubt, get the welder out. Hopefully I'll have pics to post tomorrow.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This project has been sidelined multiple times due to work and training but here's where I am, 9 months in. Interior is 80% and all of the shift linkage parts came in. The door locks are fixed, skidplate installed, antenna replaced, and aftermarket headlamps are nearly fitted.

post-26180-0-77920900-1483775149_thumb.jpg

post-26180-0-23093700-1483775183_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Vac leak turned out to be a bad valve seal.   The hesitation and dead spot continued to get worse until the 1.8L met it's demise in West Virginia one fateful day in May.  The maximum depth of water a "forester lifted" impreza can cross without a snorkel is less than 20 inches.  After a $200 recovery and tow bill,  she limped home on 3 cylinders and is now waiting for the 2.2L swap with Delta cams.  Wheels and tires shipped yesterday and I'm hoping to be pulling the 1.8 sometime next week.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...