Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What have I gotten myself into

I just purchased a brand new 04 OBW, 2.5, auto, no extended warranty. I did some research on the car with Consumer Reports which rated it's reliability as good. Now as I own the car and discover new reading material (this forum, rec.autos.subaru) I am reading a lot of things about not so good dependability. Head gaskets, engine destroying water pumps and auto trannys seem to be the greatest culprits. Honestly, have I purchased what is going to be a dog? How long can I go before I start seeing these issues in this car? The Subbi comes with a 3 year, 36000 mile warranty and I read in this forum that the drive train has 6 years? Should I have purchased the extended warranty?

What have I gotten into?

Also, any good web pages on this car? I read that smashPDX has one but I don't have the addy.

Thanks,

W

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The headgasket problems are mostly with the older (phase I) EJ25 engines.

There is also a thread with people who did *not* have trouble with their cars. You usually hear more bad news than good news, that's just the way it goes I guess.

I drove a '99 RS (also EJ25 motor) for 4 years, no troubles at all. I now drive an '04 WRX, and although I have had problems with the O2 sensors (all covered under warranty) , I really love the car.

Enjoy your car :headbang:

Rob.

The worst head gasket problems are probably behind Subaru at this point. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Water pumps are a common point of failure on all makes once beyond 100k miles. I believe in preemptive water pump replacement. I actually believe the subaru water pumps are pretty good.

The Subaru transmissions seem to me to be about average in reliability and longevity, above average once you consider the AWD. Most subaru transmission failures can be attributed to user error; improper tire circumference, lack of periodic maintanence, improper towing.

With that said, cooling systems and transmissions/drivetrain are probably the most neglected periodic maintanence areas by most people, so many failures can be attributed to user error.

Most subarus are 300k mile vehicles when properly cared for, provided rust doesn't kill them first.

Take a deep breath and relax. Don't believe all the hype. I do not know the statistical data, but only a small fraction of Subaru's are affected by the problems you listed. Nonetheless, no car should blow a headgasket due to defective engine or gasket design.

I do not know about the automatic transmission, but as for the water pump and head gaskets, your car should be fine. It is true that the early generation of 2.5 (Phase I 1996-1999) engines are notorious for internal coolant leaks leading to catastrophic engine failure (blown headgaskets). As they say, these cars were blowing up, but Subaru has had time to correct these quality control issues.

I will dovetail on what 99obw (his input is worth noting) wrote and say that you ought to follow the maintenance schedule for coolant change. I would also replace the ATF at these same 30,000-mile intervals - this will help keep the the hydraulic system (channels, orifices, and seals) clean and extend the service life of your transmission. Unlike most other cars, the timing belt drives the water pump on Subarus, hence, you should have the water pump replaced at 105K along with your timing belt.

Just enjoy your car. You probably saved yourself some money because most of the items you mentioned will be fine up 60K miles and beyond.

And chances are that if you have a head gasket prob, like me, you will have it before the drive train warrenty is up, like me, and you will get it fixed under warrenty, like me. I panicked and bought the extended warrenty.. of course, my 03 Forester was the first year of a new model. I dont' regret buying either the car or the warrenty.

I think you made the right choice. We own a '97 Legacy Wagon, a '01 OBW,and a '04 FXT. When the weather sucks you will be glad to be driving a Subaru. The '01 OBW has 70G on it and the driver's side Head gasket was fixed under warranty at 67G, otherwise it's been great. Just "baby" your car with routine maintenence and it will be there for you. Good Luck!

You have gotten yourself into a nice car that has a few maintenance watch points. Even Honda and Toyota have maintenance watch points. Enjoy your car and take care of it. I just recently bought an '04 Legacy and I love it.

I agree about not worrying about your new Subie, and I am a worrier. I did buy an extended warranty for peace of mind, but I doubt I'll need it.

I have a 2000 Forester, (first year with the phase 2 engine I think), and the only problem I've had is with the O2 sensor. After it was replaced under the recall, the 'check engine' light still kept coming on. One of the service guys told me not to top off the gas and make sure the gas cap is tight after a fill-up, and guess what? The light stopped coming on. That is the only problem I've had, (that I didn't cause).

Acura's are supposed to be very high quality cars. A friend of mine bought a new NSX in '95. The second day he owned it, it wouldn't start. It turned out to be a dead battery. On a $70k+ car! The dealer wouldn't even replace the battery on their dime!. My point is, there is a sampling of problems in every type of vehicle, but it is doubtful they will show up in every car. For what it's worth, this is my second Forester. My first was a '98 and they have been the most enjoyable, problem-free vehicles I have ever owned. Previously I owned a Toyota and a Honda, and the Subie's have been far superior.

Yeah, as the above posters have said, you always hear more bad news than good news. If the bad news is to be believed, the initial Miata engines have a desperately weak crank that self destructs if you even look at it in a funny way.

In fact my 90 Miata has 150k miles on it, and there are plenty out there of a similar age with 180k - 200k miles.

Enjoy your car, look after it, don't abuse it and I'm sure it will serve you well. I'm from Scotland, and Subaru have the same kind of reputation for reliability and ruggedness that Toyota Trucks enjoy here in the USA.

I don't think you have too much to woory about with a brand new car. If you are worried about it, drive it until the warranty is almost up and sell it.

I can't believe that Subaru only has a 3year/36K MFG warranty, though. My Trooper has a 10yr/120K warranty out of the box, no extra "extended" BS.

Hello Amanda:

What "Added Security" SOA warranty did you puchase ( e.g. 7yr/100K, etc ) and how much did you paid for it?

Thanks.

HPNG

At 35,000 miles I panicked and bought the SUBARU (not the off-brand company or dealership) extended warrenty. They had several different plans.. It depends on how many miles you drive or the amount of time that you want it covered for. I bought the 5 year 100,000 mile warrenty. I throw alot of miles on my car and I escaped with that warrenty for 1700$. Of course I still get all the benefits of the 60,000 powertrain and such. But it was, of course, for piece of mind.