Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rare? 82 wagon 2wd

Toolbox35

Recently I acquired a brown 82 wagon in pretty good shape considering its age. It's not currently running as it has sat for somewhere between 4-7 years, and wasn't driven very often before that. Anyway I'll get some pictures up here when I get my photobucket figured out

These are becoming much harder to find. That one looks to be in good condition. They are starting to gain some collector value.

My family drove an 84 DL FWD like that for years and years. I was born the year they bought it new. Learned to drive on it. Later it took my little sister through college. Wish I knew then what I know now. We gave it to our family mechanic when it developed a head gasket leak over a faulty thermostat. Would have taken a days work on it and would still be driving it today.

• Like 1

Are they getting harder to find?  Yes, so I guess that makes them rare.  Is a 2WD carbureted station wagon the most desirable model of this vintage?  No, but as stated above, if there is a sentimental connection people will be willing to pay more for it.

Thanks for your input! I totally get it that it's not the most desirable model of this vintage, I'm pretty new to subarus. I've known the previous owner for quite some time, but just recently convinced her to sell me the car, this thing is a diamond in the rough right now, but with some tlc and a few parts I'll have it going in no time. What kind of fuel economy have you guys seen out of these old carbureted subie's?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 4wd models are more desirable for obvious reasons, however finding a 4wd that is not destroyed  is hard these days.   My best subaru scores seem to be unmolested 2wd auto tranny cars.  Luckily the 2wd cars are cheaper, and they are almost always in better condition.   The 80-82 models have the solid headlight set up, in my opinion the best of the gen 2 years, nice score.

The 4wd models are more desirable for obvious reasons, however finding a 4wd that is not destroyed  is hard these days.   My best subaru scores seem to be unmolested 2wd auto tranny cars.  Luckily the 2wd cars are cheaper, and they are almost always in better condition.   The 80-82 models have the solid headlight set up, in my opinion the best of the gen 2 years, nice score.

What is approximate values for one of these in your area? I don't have as much time to work on this as I originally anticipated, and I'm considering getting rid of it. I did get it to fire by pouring down the carb, but I fear the float is stuck, as it won't keep running on its own, and I've verified fuel pressure to carb

• 4 weeks later...