Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What happens when you disconect your boost/vac switches?

Ok EA82T owners, help me out here.

What happens if you unplug the Boost and Vacuum switches (mounted to the passenger side strut tower)?

Will your car start?

Anyone know if these ar normally open or normally closed switches?

Anyone want to be a test subject for me? Try multiple combinations including both diconnected?

I'm trying to troubleshoot my fuel injection system and have fuel pressure and good wiring (as far as I know) but I'm not getting injector pulse. I had assumed the boost and vacuum switches would no tprevent the motor from starting but now I wonder.....

garner

Thanks Gary,

I've read that. Interesting but to me it asks more questions than it answers. We are on the same quest, to understand the way in which the boost switch works. For me at this point I really just need to know if it's a N/O or an N/C switch.

I had assumed that the Boost switch was a sort of failsafe that would prevent my motor from blowing up, now I wonder if it will prevent my motor from starting. It seems to be tied into the injector pulse and I assume that the fuel cut its at the injectors not the pump. There I go assuming again.....

So, have you made any progess in understanding the workings of the boost switch and fuel cut?

garner

Hi-Jacking this Thread for a sec.....

Garner.....Call me ASAP......About Auto-Cross this Weekend......At Valley River

Also, I may be able to steer you in your Quest....

Or Come by...I have a Running Turbo Car in the driveway....

Later, John

Hi-Jacking ENDED...................:rolleyes:

We’ll I finally checked the switches (it was a crazy weekend, son’s graduation/family reunion kind of thing), sorry for the delay.

The top switch (single vac/pressure line) is the one for the boost gauge/”heavy load” signal. Its normal open and trips just above 0psi.

The lower one appears to be the over boost/duty solenoid, the contacts are normally closed. I’m not sure exactly how this thing works, I could not get the switch to trip no mater how I pressured it, I think the contacts may just be for the coil in the duty solenoid. I’m going to have to do a bit more testing to figure out how this thing works.

Gary

thank Gary,

Interesting that the boost/fuel cut switch is normally closed. That one may be causin me some trouble. I was at a friends shop who has a running ea82t and when I disconected that switch nothing happened (It didn't die)

I aught to get those switches and plug them in just to be sure.

I think it is worth while to understand the fuel cut/ boost switch so that we can perhaps bypass or modify it for mor eboost and mor efun!

thanks again

garner