Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator Fluid - Brands/Quality?

I'm going to replace my radiator (93 Legacy) this weekend and I was curious about the various brands of radiator fluid out there. I see that Prestone, for example, is about twice the price of the generic brands. I have no problem paying more for better quality, but is there really a difference?

Thanks!

Michael

Subaru brand. $10-$13/gallon at the dealer. A good bit more than Autozone brand at $4.99 or whatever, but you buy it only once every 2 years, so what's a few bucks in savings? It's silicate-free and is what most people will recommend for your Subaru radiator. Better to spend a couple of bucks more now than have to spend lots more later if something gets messed up because you used a cheap coolant with loads of silicates and phosphates that could gum up the works.

That's what the voices tell me, anyway ... :drunk:

Almost all anti-freeze is base ethylene glycol which has the same boiling and freezing point no matter what brand you choose. However, the corrosion inhibiters from brand to brand differ, and this is what makes one brand better than another. Much like oil, it is the additives that wear out over time.

You should go with an extended life anti-freeze by Prestone (gray jug w/ orange cap) or Havoline (black jug with orange cap) as these are specifically made for aluminum engines like those in today's Subarus, and they contain no silicates or phosphates (as noted by Hawksoob). Silicates are like sand in your cooling system, which may fight corrosion but also cause premature wear of waterpump seals and bearings. Subaru brand is premixed and twice as expensive so you're paying almost twice as much for 1/2 the coolant (the other half is just H2O). Personally, I use Havoline Extended Life in my motorcycle and car. I can get it at Walmart for, I think, 6 bucks/gallon. Just make sure to mix it correctly with DISTILLED H2O. Metals and natural salts in tap water will cause premature corrosion. I also stick with the 30month/30,000 mile suggested replacement interval in spite of what these "Extended Life" coolants promise. It may be wasteful but maybe more cost effective in the long run.

Good LucK

You have a few choices.

The old regular 'green' ethylene glycol. Probaby what you have now. It's fine, but 'older' technology by today's standards (IMHO).

There is the "pet friendly" propylene glycol. Almost the same stuff, just based on a different molecule. Just a hint poorer in terms of heat transfer properties, etc.

You will find pros and cons on the extended life coolants. This is still ethylene glycol based. To my knowledge, the "additive" (organic in nature if I'm not mistaken) is considerably better than the 'stuff' they use in the regular anti-freeze. If you are going to use it, it is imperative that you fully flush out all the old stuff first. As little as 10% remaining in the system can cause a problem. People have reported sludge etc after switching to extended life coolant and then badmouthed the coolant as a result. In fact, they probably didn't flush the system thoroughly. I switched a few years ago on my 97 OB and have not had an issue.

I don't know the coolant capacity of your vehicle, but with mine, it is about 6 liters or so. 2 liters remain in the block and heater core! If you flush the system 2 or 3 times with distilled water (until it comes out clear), you should have minimal residual old anti-freeze left. Then you can add about 3 or 3.5 liters of 100% anti-freeze (whatever 50% or even 60% amounts to), then top off with distilled water.

Personally, I'd suggest the Texaco Havoline brand. Some of the other brands barely use enough additive to make the spec. (I've even heard of some not meeting GM's Dex-Cool spec, which is supposedly marginal to begin with.) And I would change it after 2 or 3 years. Going 5 is pushing your luck. If the car is still going. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Commuter

I had a mercury cougar that came with the orange dex-cool stuff and it stayed very nice looking and the aluminum internals also stayed very clean. It must never be mixed with green antifreeze as they are completely incompatible. If you want to shift over, perform several flushes to get rid of the old fluid. The bottom thermostat on Subaru makes getting a perfect drain and a good refill more difficult than on most cars. I have taken to changing coolant every two years on all my cars in hopes of avoiding heater core failures. I have had a couple in recent years, and it's always a remove dashboard job on newer cars. I change fluid every year on Subaru using generic brand, just in case it will help with head gasket life. The trick I have found to getting a good refill on a Subaru is to disconnect the upper radiator hose from the radiator and pour the new coolant mix down into the hose, then fill the radiator. Coolant poured down the hose goes to a pipe that enters the top of each cylinder head and you start out the job with at least a 90% fill. It gets the engine full of coolant before you start up the car. The air vent on the radiator near the top hose is OK at the very end, but doesn't do a lot until almost all the air is already out.

Subaru brand is premixed and twice as expensive so you're paying almost twice as much for 1/2 the coolant (the other half is just H2O).

Good LucK

Hmmm... the bottle I have doesn't indicate as much, and has dilution instructions on the bottle (depending upon climate). It's one full gallon of 100% Subaru brand antifreeze.