Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saw a Brat with an EJ engine

The Shop behind my work is working on a Brat with an EJ, I could only get the hood up enough to recognize the intake runners (I dont know EJs well). I’m sure it’s a real tight fit, if anyone wants more info on it I’m sure I can get a closer look, maybe even chat with the owner, let me know.

Gary

yes yes! I'd like to know what he did for transmissions. Did he swap in the whole drive train or did he adapt the bellhousings to his old Brat tranny? Any cutting to make it fit? how about the main crossmember?

Thx!

Just took a quick look under the hood, I don’t know how to tell one EJ from another so I cant say what size it is, its still in the project stage, looks like some wiring and shift linkage is wants left to do. Seems to fit well and the frame rails don’t appear to be modified, it has the EJ trans, couldn’t get a look at the main crossmember but mount under the trans looks to be based on a stock part, not hand made. I really don’t know the EA81/Brat stuff well enough to tell what’s been changed, one of the guys in the shop said “we had to do a s**t load of work under that thing”. I'll try to find out a bit more.

Gary

Awsome thanks for finding this stuff out. Could you ask what crossmember they used for engine and transmission. What rear diff they are using. What axles they are using or if they used DOJs from the donor and CVs from the Brat. Was the entire wire harness swaped over or just the computer and what they esentialy needed. How about clearance for radiator and fan up front.

The engine stamp should be right up front dead center on top of the block. It will say EJ22 or whatever it is.

Thx!

I heard he was building it. I can't remember his name but he owns this one too.

resized18Aug10057.sized.jpg

He talked about it at WCSS5. Tom @ Aarons told me he had picked up the running gear from him. I think it is an EJ22 with the AWD system. If he puts as much love into this that he put into the Hatch it will be awesome.

I heard he was building it. I can't remember his name but he owns this one too.

resized18Aug10057.sized.jpg

He talked about it at WCSS5. Tom @ Aarons told me he had picked up the running gear from him. I think it is an EJ22 with the AWD system. If he puts as much love into this that he put into the Hatch it will be awesome.

I remember that hatch...

You'd be hard pressed to find a car out of the factory with less dirt on it.

This actually doesn't appear to be all that difficult of a swap. You can order up some axles from CVAxles.com that will fit the trans so that's easy. The EJ22 is physically narrower than an EA82, so will fit in the frame rails no problem. All that's really left is to fab some mounts and strip the engine harness from a legacy. Some shift linkage and you are down the road.

It's also been done both here in the states and in AUS. Even with Gen 1's.... the picture gallery has a number of examples....

Personally - if I'm going to do it, then I'm doing it with a legacy EJ22G and AWD 5 speed.....

GD

legacy engine, i think, he's getting the cam work done at delta. last time i talked to him he was starting to get all of the computer and wiring stuff figured out. still trying to get him to drive his 'pavement queen' down here:rolleyes:

oh, BTW his name is bob b.

-mike

Zeno, maybe I'll be like those veterans who were going to sue Kerry if he didn't stop showing pictures with them in them without there permission. By the why, Kerry doesn't show those pictures anymore.

Yea, Zeno you and I are the stand outs, especially me!!! :lol:

Is it harder to fit an ER27 into a brat than an EJ22? Just wondering.

A bit so indeed. I thought about an Ej for my first choice, but the tranny option limited me, if I had the equipment now that I had way back when, then I coulda come up with an adapter plate, but now that I've got the motor in, I'm VERY happy with it.

So when can we expect some pics? I've seen lot of pics of the AUS guys' rigs, but non domestic, would be kewl.

Hello all, my name is Bob Barci, I own the 82 hatchback in this thread. I am currently working on an 83 Brat that I have installed a 92 EJ22 with 5 speed transmission in from a 95 Legacy. Approximately 3/4" clearance on each side of the engine to the frame/body. The engine is fron a 92 Legacy, the crossmember is from a 84 GL10 turbo 4WD wagon w/power steering. I plumbed the power steering pump from the EJ22 to the 84 ps steering. The engine mount holes in the cross member had to elnogated approximately 3/4" for the engine mount bolts. The front drive shafts are connected to the transmission via double offset joint cups from aLegacy Turbo 91-94. I used a Loyale spi fuel pump, and installed rear disc brakes from a 88 turbo wagon. Wiring harness is from a 92 Legacy being installed by my friend Scott Morgan at his rod shop www.scottstreetrods.com. Some custom work necessary to make it fit so far; lengthen the drive shaft to the differential approx 6 1/2 inches, shorten the 5 speed shift linkage so it is located in the center of the hole in the floor, and an adaptor to connect the 5speed rubber mounts to the stock transmission mount. It doesn't run yet, I'll keep you posted. I plan to have it on the road in about a year. Tha 82 Baru was a 3 year project (1000 hours) and the brat is looking the same. Bob

Glad you finally made it Bob. I'm Ken(Qman), I have the big sliver Brat from the last show. Tom told me you were going forward on this project after we talked about it at the show. Sounds like fun(and alot of work). Keep up to speed on this years show in the post WCSS6, and let us know your progress.

Ken

Cool - so how is the SPFI fuel pump hooked up? I'm curious about the hard lines from the pump to the engine bay handling the increase in pressure. Since the Brat was originally carbed, and ran with 1-2 psi, and the SPFI pump is rated at over 40 psi (something like that anyway). I'm going to put the SPFI from an EA82 on my EA81, and will be in a similar situation as you. I had thought to mount the pump in the engine bay and feed it with the carbed pump but maybe that isn't neccesary? Any data you could provide on the strength of the original lines, and their ability to hold this extra pressure?

GD