Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have you done this before? I can't seem to get mine to honk. Any more specifics from someone who has successfully done it,such as speed of on off with the ignition or do I need to have the doors all unlocked before I get in or just unlock them after i het in. Ive tried about 8 or 9 times and the instructions are pretty straightforward so I must be doing something to upset the process.

I've done it a many times, there are a few gotchas.

If your door open switch doesn't work, it won't go into programming mode.

If your car doesn't ding when the key is in the ignition and the door is open, either the key-in-ignition switch is broken or the door switch is broken.

I don't cycle the key unreasonably fast, but brisk. Make sure you're going all the way to the run position without overshooting to start. If you turn the key to start really quickly, but it does contact, it won't go into programming mode.

Also make sure the fob battery isn't dead, it should have a little red LED that comes on when you press either button.

• 1 month later...

I can get the car to beep once going through the whole 10 time + opening and closing driver's door and three times at the end of the "programming," but I can't get the horn to beep twice (the in between step) when I push the key fob to program the remote.  The battery is brand new and the + is lined up with where it's supposed to go.  When I do push a button there is no "beep twice", but when I take the keys out of the ignition there is a "beep three times".  The remote doesn't work.  When I push a button the red light on the remote stays on longer than I feel like it should.

Why is it not programming?

Why will it beep the one time with the "10 turns" and three times when I take the key out, but it won't beep twice to program my remote?

Could it be that at one time, I believe, this key was programmed to a Subaru Outback 02 instead of my Subaru Forester 03?

I'm using the "orange and blue" key fob for my Subaru Forester 03.