Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Hesitation

92 Loyale, 1.8L with 110K miles on engine

It hesitates sometimes from taking off. Almost like it cuts off. Does not feel like a tranmission problem,but maybe fuel delivery?

The fuel filter is less than 1 year old. What could it be?

Also, it slightly misses at idle.

I will do that, even if it's an auto. It's probably the crappy $10.99 plug wires from Autozone. I only got them because there was nothing else.

The computer has been setting a code for over a year, but I don't know how to pull codes on it.

Check the cap and rotor. To pull codes, take off the lower dash panel on the drivers side. Take the three screws out of the fuse box and remove the plastic rivits on both sides of the panel. This will expose the computer, which is the big silver box. There is a hole in the upper side of the box, turn the engine on and watch the LED in the hole. Long flashes mean tens, short ones mean ones. The pattern will repeat, you may also have multiple codes. Watch the pattern and write down the #'s, keep watching to confirm them. If the LED doesn't blink but the check engine light is on, connect the connectors (I think they're white) that are in the engine compartment by the winshield wiper motor. A chart of the codes may be in the Utimate Subaru Repair Manual. If not, PM me and I'll look it up in one of my books. Good luck!

I found out that my coil wire was loose... Hm, not idea why. I put it back in, and it runs better. Still idles a bit rough, but it may be a vacuum leak or something.

And feels like it needs timing set, but at least it is nothing urgent.

I have a Craftsman timing light, just need to figure out how to use it.

• 1 month later...

I found the cause!!

I knew it had to be an ignition problem. I also knew my distributor cap and rotor weren't that old, about 1 year, and didn't expect them to be bad.

I pulled them anyway and found out that a part of the distributor had disintegrated and 2 large chunks of plastic were loose inside. I fished them out. I also found out that the distributor cap was worn, as was the rotor - it was bent even. The plastic stuff came from the edge. Now there is a small hole in the distributor, I hope it doesn't make a difference.

Replaced these two parts, and a world of difference. No more hesitation or misses, at throttle or idle.