Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I'm looking at an 95 svx that's been sitting for a while in my town. I inquired and it is for sale, but while I was looking at it, I pulled up the awd lever and I couldn't seem to put it back down. Does the car have to be running for it to go down? Also, if i do happen to buy it, what should I be looking to fix as common problems? I know the transmissions are known to go bad, and this one has a blown head gasket.

Thanks

Has it been sitting outdoors? If so, just sitting moisture w/o car being used can almost be as bad as road salt, especially if it's been sitting over grass/dirt.

Things right off the top of my head that can be troublesome are:

Seized brakes (pads will stick to rotors and be need a good pounding) from rust on the rotor surface. This can be bad enough to actually make it impossible to pull it (do NOT try and use the engine's power to move a car with locked brakes, as it can actually break motor mounts).

Brakes might feel warped. If rusted bad enough, they'll need replaced or resurfaced.

Water in the gas can be an issue, as well as gas being bad. Engine might run rough or not at all. Fuel filter will definitely need replaced and fresh gas added. If you treat the gas with a water remover, do so on a full tank. I'd put 5 gallons of 93 octane in if you buy it and used that to get it to a gas station.

Rodent damage is serious concern. If they get in the tail pipe, they might have created an obstruction. If engine starts, but the tail pipe smokes badly, but isn't blue or white, rather an inconsistent  grey that stinks badly and "hangs", that's most likely a rodent being smoked along with whatever it packed into it's nest.

You might also have a rusted muffler (internally rusted). They can collapse baffling. It engine feels really underpowered after fresh gas, this might be why. A vacuum gauge attached to the engine will help decipher this.

I'd check oil before starting it. Get it running, see if it'll move, then check EVERYTHING for function. This means heat (check defrost, heater defrost, panels, etc.), AC, all interior lights, door locks, power seats, windows, back up lights, high/low beams, flashers/ turn indicators, radio, sunroof if equipped, etc. etc. If it moves and drives, see if they'll allow a trip around the bock, or if they have a long driveway, use that. Don't push it hard as you don't want a brake line rupturing and you end up in a messy crash.

Anything electrical not working, might be fuse related, rodent related, or the reason they parked it. Ideally, you'd want to raise each corner and check for ball joint, wheel bearing, tie rod, strut, damage, etc. It might present itself driving as a slopping steering wheel, car pulling opposite direction as steering wheel, etc. Would be wise to know how old the timing belt is. If it's been parked for years, it'll be old and dry rotted most likely and need replaced. Serpentine belt might be the same. Tire dry rot shouldn't be ignored.

Why everything mentioned might be on the anal side of looking a car over, every little issue you find can be a bargaining chip to get a reasonable buying price.

Hi all,

I'm looking at an 95 svx that's been sitting for a while in my town. I inquired and it is for sale, but while I was looking at it, I pulled up the awd lever and I couldn't seem to put it back down. Does the car have to be running for it to go down? Also, if i do happen to buy it, what should I be looking to fix as common problems? I know the transmissions are known to go bad, and this one has a blown head gasket.

Thanks

AWD lever? It has no such thing.....

Thanks for the help bushwick! It actually hasn't been sitting outside too long according to the owner, he said its been sitting in his garage until he pulled it out recently. It definetly has been sitting outside for a bit, but I looked underneath and there isn't much rust damage that I saw. Exhaust pipe from the y pipe back is still all solid metal, the muffler appears to be in good shape exterior wise. No leaks coming from under the car. He said the reason it was never used was because it has a blown head gasket and his dad never did the fix. However he said it was running when parked. Interior actually seems untouched by rodents thank God. Its like new, just dust and cobwebs. Not a single rip or tear anywhere. I know all about bad has because I just did major gasoline work on my 8I corvette. Anyway, the guy offered me 400 to take it away, I still have to get a fresh battery in it to see if it will start. My dad is also a big car guy, he's had his share of subies, and he told me I should offer 200.

Numbchux, there is a lever behind the shifter that I thought puts the car in awd. Is it a parking brake?

Edited by CJZEPP
  • Like 1