Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad fuel pump? *updated*

Hey there...

86 turbo wagon

every once in a while my car wont start...crankety crank crank nothing...if I pull the fuse for the fuel pump and tap it in and out of its holder while cranking, it will eventually fire up...this happens only once in a while...the frequency follows no pattern at all. this has been happening for 2 months now. today I drove to PAP in search of an oil cooler (more on this later) and the car ran fine. I go to start it to go to work and it starts fine...reverse out of the driveway and at the bottom it dies...start it back up after a few attempts of the above methods and drive sluggishly to the end of the street and it dies again...start it again and reverse to the house...got a ride to work...I suspect fuel pump...my filter is new, plugs, wires, coil, pretty new. I am not at home to troubleshoot so I was hoping someone may know whats up. when I did get it started again, it did not want to rev fast at all..it felt all sputtery...any help appreciated

thanks

btw how much is a fuel pump? ballpark $

eric

I think your right on target about the fuel pump Eric. Sounds like the classic low fuel pressure symptoms. I think these pumps run between $150-$220 dollars normally for a car with fuel injection. Less for carburated versions.

Doing a fuel pressure test will verify the pump condition. I think normal pressures are about 70 psi for injected and 30 psi for carburated.

ok, got a fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up right after the fuel filter...I tried to start the car (wouldnt start the other day) and it fired right up. figures. fuel pressure was at 36 at 1000 rpm, a bit higher than spec, but I think its due to the cams because at idle with these cams there is less vacuum, less vac at the FPR means more pressure from the pump.

so 36psi at 1000rpm

and 42psi with vac. hose off the fpr

and 60psi with fuel return pinched

and 40psi upon startup prime

and 55 or so psi while driving at WOT

now when I turn off the car at 36psi, after a minute, the pressure climbs to 40 and stays there for at least 10 minutes.

does all this sound ok? I will recheck after the prob happens again...