Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horn Relay location is MIA

Hello USMB!

I've had my 1985 GL D/R for a couple years with minor issues here and there. My current problem is the horn. It is stuck on and I can't seem to find the relay to replace it, hoping that will fix my problem. I have found the 4 relays behind the fuse box under the dash but neither of them seem to operate the horn. Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Welcome!

For the placement of the four relays that you describe, I believe that your 1985 GL, is an EA82 engined Subaru. However, you must provide further information of your vehicle to get the proper help.

There is No relay for the Horn, because they wired the Positive (+) directly to the Horn from the Battery, so, the button on the Steering wheel, provides the Negative (-) or ground, to the Horn's circuit.

There must be a short circuit on the Negative wire, or on the steering wheel's wiring.

Have you removed the steering wheel, lately?

Kind Regards.

once had a GM horn come loose on its main rivet between the horn body and horn bracket, swung down to earth the contact on an earthed bracket - iola - constant horn. Maybe have a squiz at the horn switch contacts behind the horn pad ?

I came home to my parked car the other day and the horn was just randomly on. I unplugged the battery and proceeded to locate the horn. Found it in a tight little cavity behind the bumper, below the left headlight. From what I can tell, the contacts were fine. I pulled the face of the steering wheel off to figure out the switch mechanism to complete the circuit for the horn. It doesn't seem to be damaged or faulty in any way. I'm going to attempt to wire in a relay for the horn when I have a free time this week. I appreciate the insight and knowledge here. This forum is great!! Btw. Soobrina is an '85 GL wagon with dual range hi/low and is an EA82 with power steering