Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 legacy, sketchy or not?

My 95' Legacy L Wagon w/ EJ22 was being sold for $1k IIRC and I talked the guy down to $850. It needed the rear crossmember replaced and new brake line plus obligatory maintenance, but otherwise started right up and everything worked and nearly 2+ years later, still does. It's picked up some rust and the body isn't the prettiest, but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country.

You seriously telling me that's worth $3500-$4000? I looked at Houston Craigslist and you can find 98'-02' Subaru w/o rust for under $2500.

Worth that much? I don't know. But there are people who will pay that much. I've sold 2 Outbacks (a '96 Wagon and a '99 Sedan), both in similar or worse condition, for more than $3k within a week of listing them. So yea, there are exceptions, especially ones in dire need of some attention (I picked up a '97 Legacy a few weeks ago for $300, mostly just needed tires and a fuel filler neck), but Subarus generally have a really good resale value up here.

I'm not saying it's definitely a good buy, but I'm also not saying it's definitely a POS. I'm just saying it might be worth looking at in person. It's a crappy ad, that's certainly going to scare away many buyers, but that can be good news if it's actually a half-decent car.

Ohio is a much different market.  i go to Bushwick's area once every month or two.  up until a few years ago i would go an entire weekend without seeing a Subaru there.  that can't happen even with a short commute here.

In a dinky town with only 30,000 people we have a Subaru dealer (another 30 minutes away), Subaru only used car lots, Subaru only junk yards (though they are challenging to deal with), and Subaru only mechanics/shops.   

Akron is 200,000 people and Canton 70,000 people - that's an order of magnitude bigger than where I live and if anything like that exists - it's rare.

My relatives have bought two Subarus recently and their 20+ year mechanic in Canton said he wouldn't work on them because he doesn't know them. A mechanic here would get funny looks with a response like that here.

Subaru's can be really cheap there on craigslist but rust issues beware.  i see gaping hole rear fender cars and trucks frequently in ohio, that doesn't pass PA and WV state inspections, that changes the market too. 

you can get $3k and $4k for later 90's Subaru's here - depends on time of year, condition, and mileage.  we have yearly inspections so they need to have limited rust and pass those inspections for the next few years to command a good price.  

i sold a 99 a year or two ago for $4k+.  i can't imagine that happening in Ohio.