Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Outback wagon rear window replacement

My outback has a shattered rear window and I need to replace it. The glass does not appear to be attached via urethane but seems to attached by a seal. That seal seems to be free from the body at both ends. As the glass shattered, it appeared to loosen both ends of the seal of the window from the body. It has a rear wiper which is attached through a hole in the lower window glass.  Is the wiper attached by a serrated post and does that wiper drive stay in position while the glass is removed and replaced?

I have access to a good window in a junked vehicle so I will need to remove its glass and reinstall it in mine. I need help with the whole process.

Thanks

i'd get a Subaru FSM for that. 

usually the easiest repair is to just swap an entire rear hatch.  it's like a few bolts and unclip the wiring harness, can be done super fast and easy.   i can appreciate wanting to use what you have on hand - i'd get an FSM online and check the SUbaru procedure there.  i got my 2002 outback FSM free on line, a google search will eventually land you on a place that isn't click bait. LOL

Thanks for that advice. I will consider doing that. There are two wiring harnesses that go from body to door but I don't see connectors. Are they on the door side or the body side?

Connector is up inside the body side of the vehicle. 

Pull the rubber grommet/conduit/cover that you see right now.  It just pops out of the hatch and body side of the car (basically all Subaru doors and hatches are like this).  

Then you'll see the wiring.  pull it until you get to the connector.

You can swap doors, trunks, and hatches by yourself but it's super awkward, probably a terrible idea (drop, dent, scratch, etc).  Having a helper makes it a cinch just because it's awkward, not because it's hard.  Holding a door or hatch while trying to turn bolts is pretty fun (not), i just did one this week.  don't recommend it unless it's a last resort.