Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 GL Distributor Cap gasket

Hey all! 

first post on this board! ONLY b/c i can't find what im looking for in the search.

anywho, i am looking for a distributor cap gasket. i can't find a part number or anything online. i got a new cap and rotor from RockAuto, but its just the cap and rotor. the gasket that was on the distributor was basically powder when i took the original cap off.

anyone have a part number or store that i should try calling to find one?

do i actually need a gasket for this? i am making the assumption i do as there is a vacuum on the dizzy.

thanks in advance for the help!

bright

ive never heard of a disty cap gasket and i just pulled off my 3 or month old one to look and its just plastic cap to metal disty. no gasket or rubber buffer of sorts. may be different if you have a different ignition system. i have hitachi which the disty cap is held on by 2 spring clips vs the other type which is 2 screws.either way, as far as i know theres no gasket needed for the cap

Always were hard to find for just about any vehicle that may have had one.....not sure if yours actually had one. BUT if you feel you need or want one, buy a roll of cork gasket amterial and make one. Ive done it many times and it lasts for years,

Many an old timer would tell you, to heck with the gasket, spray a mist of wd40 inside the cap and that will help deter moisture. (moisture being the problem the gaskets were designed to deal with)

so i found out that its really not necessary, there was a gasket there, the new one didn't come with it. i thought it was necessary as there was a vacuum thingamabobber attached it to. but the new and old cap both have a vent port on top. so i think the gasket was simply placed there back in the day to try and keep crud and water out. 

i went to oreillys and found an o-ring out of some sort of chevy oil cooler kit. its a round o-ring as compared to the flat rubber gasket that was there before, but it fits, just a bit of a stretch on the clamps that hold the dizzy cap on. i'll see if it does in fact do anything. 

i also found that some toyota guys that like to submerge their trucks use silicone to help water proof the dizzy. i may try that out if this car turns into an off roadin rig.

thanks for the replies.

bright