Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine steady, traction steady, blinking brake and cruise icon

2014 Legacy 2.5, 33.5k miles.

Started heading to town, within a half mile, the brake light started blinking, then I noticed that the cruise icon was also blinking, the traction control icon was on steady and the check engine was on steady.  I returned home.  I pulled the code this morning and it was a P1449, air filter clog.

Air filter changed at 30k, I checked it, it was clean.  I pulled the snorkel and it was clear.  I read the owners manual and it said a blinking brake light was something wrong with the electronic parking brake, but it appears to be working, setting and releasing as it should.

I called the dealer to schedule it for repair, next Friday is the earliest.  I asked about driving it and they told me that the blinking brake light is just to get your attention for when the check engine light comes on.  It got my attention all right, but I have never heard of this before and it is not in the owners manual.  Do you think this is true?  Sounds bogus to me, but Subaru does seem to march to a different drummer.

Edited by keith3267

well, I hope it gets repaired if there's an actual failure. I have had spurious codes set 3 times on my 2 Subarus. Just cleared and never came back, or, new battery fixed the issue.

But, all modern cars that have traction control, cruise control and perhaps 1 or 2 other systems, will turn on those warning lights if even the simplest thing causes the CEL to come on.

The actual code description is Evap emissions air filter clog.  Does anyone know if there is a separate air filter for the evap canister and where is it, and the canister located?  I can't find the canister.

Edited by keith3267

did you drive thru high water?

anyway - all that related stuff is in the back, underneath. Near the fuel filler and around/above the differential. Mud or water might compromise that filter, spiders, ...??? - possibly 'topping-off' the tank, or just some kind of failure....

should be under emissions warranty

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Found it.  There is a shroud forward of the Passenger rear wheel.  The canister is located above the shroud, but there is a gap at the front of the shroud between it and the body.  The filter is there and it is exposed to any dust, dirt, snow and ice that may be kicked up.

The blinking brake light, blinking cruise icon and steady stability control icon and check engine light are normal for this code.  I did a Google search on this code and it seems to be a bigger problem on the Outback and Forester forums, mainly since 2012.  They are more likely to go off road than a Legacy, but I do live in farm country and it gets dusty out here, especially this time of the year when they are plowing the fields.

I'm going to let the dealer fix this, its under warranty.

Edit: I added a tag for P1449 to help anyone else who gets this code.  I don't like this design and I suspect that this code may become much more common as 2012 and newer Subaru's get a little older.  It affects all models.

Edited by keith3267

It looks like the evap filter is external to the canister.  What appears to be the filter to me looks like a cylindrical pleated element about 1" in dia by 1" long.  I see a hose to one side but I can't see the other side but it appears to be attached to something.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday the UPS truck stopped and dropped off a package for me from Subaru.  I didn't order anything so I double checked the label, it was definitely for me.  I opened it up and there was a card from Subaru that said in part "To show our gratitude for the recent opportunity to improve your Subaru experience, we hope you'll enjoy this useful Dyson in your Subaru and in your home."  The box contained a Dyson v6 cordless vacuum cleaner ($300 at Walmart).  Are they trying to bribe me for a good review?

Anyway, I took the Subie in for its appointment for the repair.  They found the air filter for the canister full of water.  They emptied the water, cleared the code, and ordered a new filter.  I'll have to take it back when the new filter comes in.  The CEL came back on 7 miles from the dealership on my way home.