Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chart of EA82 changes throughout the years

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

One thing about Turbo Distributors. In 85/86, the distributors were vacuum advanced. In 87, then switched to the optical disty.

86 SPFI disty has no vac can either. It's also the same disty as the later turbo's. All the CAS disty's are interchangeable between SPFI, MPFI and Turbo MPFI.

GD

#27 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:55 AM

This is a great load of information.. Pitty half of it is incorrect for Australia :lol:

Still, good write up!

#28 bgd73

bgd73

Banned - WARNING! Disregard EVERYTHING posted by this user

• Banned
  • 1,210 posts
  • Concrete Glacier

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

I recently was looking at an mpfi 1988 turbo wagon. It is not the spider intake, but it was called mpfi. Looked like two spfi intakes, twinned, morphed together. What exactly was that called? I didn't see four injectors, unless there was some, and I didn't spot them.Here is another thing I noticed: My 87 DL had an oem all metal radiator, the loyales have plastic sides,that must have been changed somewhere along the line. The Loyales lack of guages is luckier than my complaints :)

#29 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

I recently was looking at an mpfi 1988 turbo wagon. It is not the spider intake, but it was called mpfi. Looked like two spfi intakes, twinned, morphed together. What exactly was that called? I didn't see four injectors, unless there was some, and I didn't spot them.Here is another thing I noticed: My 87 DL had an oem all metal radiator, the loyales have plastic sides,that must have been changed somewhere along the line. The Loyales lack of guages is luckier than my complaints :)

All Turbos have MPFI. The four injectors were there, you just didn't look hard enough.

Also, I beleive that some early model EA82s had plastic end tanks as well on their radiators (my 88 does, but of course your 87 was younger). It wasn't needed, because the thermo switch didn't ground through the radiator anymore.

#30 Skatedownpdx

Skatedownpdx

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • portland

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

say they x-ed out rear door speakers but still run the speaker wire. does anyone know if they still run the wire to the rear cargo light and the headliner lights up front? thats one thing i was always bummed about my car not having. that big round one just doest do the trick. any ideas?

#31 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

say they x-ed out rear door speakers but still run the speaker wire. does anyone know if they still run the wire to the rear cargo light and the headliner lights up front? thats one thing i was always bummed about my car not having. that big round one just doest do the trick. any ideas?

I'm curious about the rear cargo light to. That's the one thing my 88 wagon's missing...

#32 Skatedownpdx

Skatedownpdx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • portland

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

once my car is my doner ill just cut into my headliner and let everyone know thats wants to know :banana: or if i go to the jy soon

#33 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:14 AM

i promise that tomorrow night i will go thru this list, chop it up in my word processor (OpenOffice 0wns j00!!!) and get a finished format of this list up here for submission in the USRM

#34 Skatedownpdx

Skatedownpdx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • portland

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:19 AM

get the year they changed the corners on the rear windows (between the last side window and the hatch) i was curious but too lazy to find out myself. and in any matter would be good for the list :drunk:

#35 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,725 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

Well... it is an Old Thread but it Worth to be Finished somehow... I Have some info to Add and a Question to Ask.

Let me Start Saying that I Believe that the Well done Chart made by TROGDOR! is Based on the Subaru Models for the USA Market...

This is a great load of information.. Pitty half of it is incorrect for Australia :lol: ...

...The Same Situation is for Latin American / Asian Specs Subies; So I Want to Add some more info for that Models as they came to the Non-USA Markets, in Order to Help to Complete the Chart.

I Will Name the Car Model as "Loyale" for Easy Reference and Understanding, even if it was Named Also Leone (Gen III), Omega, GL, DL, RX, or even Isuzu Gemminett II. :eek:

(Rebadged)

Posted Image

So, About This:

1985:
-EA82 sedan and wagon introduced...

The Model that is Known as the "EA82", (Loyale, Omega... etc) was introduced in Japan as Prototype in 1981 and Went into Production Since 1982, Called Leone (Gen III).

See this Picture, Taken from the Subaru Worldwide Website:

Posted Image

-All nonturbo models equipped with EA82 carb engines, EXCEPT:
-2WD GL-10 models equipped with EA82 MPFI engine (same as XT)...

For the Asian / Latin American \ other Markets, The "Loyale" came with this Engines:

EA65 Engine 1.3L (Standard "DL" 2WD) and EA71 Engine 1.6L (Luxury "GL" 2WD)

in Example, see this 1.3L Loyale Sedan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 1.8L were available in EA81 (Standard "DL" 4WD) and EA82 (Luxury "GL" 4WD) ... I Know that few Early 1985 Loyales went to the USA with Factory Mounted EA81 engines.

As Aditional info, let me Tell you that in our Markets are Available the 1.5L and 1.6L Engined Imprezas (EJ15 for Standard Model and EJ16) also the 1.8L ...

in example, I Found this Pic in internet:

Posted Image

Also, I Took This Photo with my Cellphone, sometime Ago, Those are Local (Honduran) Subies:

Posted Image

...1985.5:
-Mirrors move from below window to sail panel (in front of window)...

Because The Original "Loyale" Design -for Japan- Had the Mirrors Mounted in the Front Fenders, Not on the Doors... So when they came available Outside Japan, they Had to "Add On" those Mirrors to the Doors... Then they Upgraded the Design.

...1987: ...
-4 Speed Electronic Automatic Transmission (4EAT) introduced ...

That Transmission is Subaru Made and was Used by Nissan in Early Pathfinders. it Also Came in Legacies.

...1987: ...
-Yellow area on front sidemarkers is smaller ...

There are Three Different Designs for that Yellow area in the Front Sidemarkers, as Long as I have Seen:
  • The ones with Flat Big Yellow Area,
  • The ones with Non-Flat Big Yellow Area, that area comes Outside Angled.
  • The White ones with Small Outside Angled Yellow Area.
The Second ones are for the Model that Came with Four Small Headlamps instead of the Two Sealed Headlights and those Won`t fit the Other Model`s Mounting Place for the Screws at the Headlamps` Hardware.

...1988:
-Carb engine dropped ...

Again: Just for the USA Market.

We got Here, in the Latin American Market and the Asian / Australian Market, Carbureted late Models of EA82 and Even Newer EJ Engines did Came with Carb & Disty too, from 1989 to 1993. (Legacy was introduced in 1989)

in Example: See the Pictures I Took from a EJ Engined Subie (1993 Legacy) I Repaired once:

Posted Image

I Hope that info will Help to Update the Chart. :)

(For Additional info about Rebadged Subarus and much More, See Here)

Well, as I Said, I Have a Question:

...1992:
-PCV retrofit introduced to prevent smoking on right turns ...

Could anybody tell me More about that Retrofit?

I`ve Heard Something related to a "T" that was Changed for a Turn Somewhere...

Kind Regards.

#36 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,243 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

Not all Loyales had power windows. They were not "standard"

also the 4EAT was not used until 88, with the exception of XT's (which are not supposed to be part of this list.

Corner lights changed in 87.

Also, 87 4wd carbed used a Denso distributor. 85,86 are Hitachi

#37 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,725 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

Not all Loyales had power windows. They were not "standard"...

Yes, those were the Basic "DL" Models. The Same for Legacies and imprezas in our Markets.

#38 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,725 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

... The Original "Loyale" Design -for Japan- Had the Mirrors Mounted in the Front Fenders, Not on the Doors ...

I Found a Couple of Pics of Those:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also...

1989:
-Touring Wagon introduced ...

Those "High Raise Roof" Touring Wagons, were Available in our Market since Early Models...

Posted Image

Kind Regards.

#39 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

1990:
-Painted bumpers, chrome stripe in side cladding, wagon rear trim beside back window no longer available
-Power windows, locks, and mirrors become standard
-Automatic seatbelts and high-rise console become standard
-Factory tire size changes to 165/80/13

[/size]

My (1990 Loyale RS) came with color matched, painted bumpers
my side cladding has a gold in lay like an RX (?) don't know if that counts as 'chrome', it's plastic
the mirrors were not powered
it has 'normal' seat belts
the factory tire size is 185/70/13, 195/70/13 is an optional 'approved' size

but, really, that's a bit of an oddball car... and may not be what was going on in the bigger picture

cool list - btw

#40 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

I'm curious about the rear cargo light to. That's the one thing my 88 wagon's missing...

late reply

I had the cargo light wiring, I also had the power mirror wiring, and wiring for an overhead map light

#41 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,243 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

but, really, that's a bit of an oddball car... and may not be what was going on in the bigger picture

Indeed. I agree with you that the Loyal RS model was an attempt to cash in on remaining stock of certain RX/GL Coupe Parts. Resulting in oddball combinations. Was a standard Loyal coupe even available that year?

Yours is the only one I've ever even seen pictures of, let alone seeing one in person.

It is a sharp car, look forward to seeing it at WCSS

#42 sprale

sprale

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

This is a really great collection of knowledge. Sounds like a good excuse to build a Soob wiki.

#43 Nomad_Brad

Nomad_Brad

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Caldwell

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

I have a 90' Loyale and it has no power windows,

but the spare is under the hood! When did they start/stop doing that?

#44 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,621 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

I have a 90' Loyale and it has no power windows,

but the spare is under the hood! When did they start/stop doing that?

Loyales are oddballs to say the least.

And the spare under the hood stopped with the end of the EA series cars.
There isn't enough room under the hood of an EJ car (legacy/impreza) to fit
a spare.

Hey JesZek, can you ship me one of those extra tall EA81 wagons?
I'll pay for shipping :-p (just kidding)
Those are really cool.

Oh, and I think there should be a differentiation between the Hatch and the
sedan/wagon/coupe.
The hatch was a different body style, engine and transmission.

Twitch

#45 Buddy

Buddy

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you"

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Stockton

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Indeed. I agree with you that the Loyal RS model was an attempt to cash in on remaining stock of certain RX/GL Coupe Parts. Resulting in oddball combinations. Was a standard Loyal coupe even available that year?

Yours is the only one I've ever even seen pictures of, let alone seeing one in person.

It is a sharp car, look forward to seeing it at WCSS

i will say yes. there's JUST ONE Loyale coupe running here in Stockton. i thought i saw a unicorn til i did a uturn just to take a closer look. i have a couple pix of it too. i gotta find them.

#46 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

So far I've found three RS. Oddly, until last week I'd never even seen an RX, then I saw two in three days. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users