Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to install mufflers in Subaru Impreza

I have a 2006 model Subaru Impreza. I made several modification works on it and had engine service from one Subaru engine repair shop in Edmonton. Now I am thinking of changing the mufflers. I have to choose a muffler which will not affect the power and mileage of the vehicle. Also I need to know whether changing exhaust system affects the vehicle?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Well I had a Wrx 02, it had the Magnaflow muffler, it sounded awesome. I had people asking if I had a v8 in her. It has a nice rumble and even more so when higher rpms. It also helps the engine breathe better I thought, being a turbo. The subaru motors have a distinct sound. I could be blind and know when I subie is close by. :)

Edited by Naked Buell

the NA (non-turbo) Imprezas will not have the asymmetric 'rumble' like the turbo models - unless an unequal length header is installed.

I don't really understand the OP's question - has the original exhaust system rusted away?

anyway - it is possible to interfere with proper pressure pulse 'propagation' if the exhaust piping is of mixed diameters. But, many folks fit partial or entirely new complete exhaust systems without drama. I wouldn't expect noticeable power increase.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 weeks later...