Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4wd Major Gas Consumption & Clicking Sound

I started out getting 33 mpg then took it to a shop (mistake) and they replaced entire exhaust system (except for back catalytic converter), fuel pump (don't think it really needed to be replaced), transmission mounts, u-joints, and back driver's cv axle.  I left the shop with a clicking sound somewhere down in front but can't tell where it is coming from.  It seems to rotate with the wheels.  Goes away when I put on the brakes.  No rocks and it doesn't appear to be the axle.  And my gas mileage has gone down to if lucky 18mpg.  I've changed the EGR valve, plugs (wires were still fine), O2 sensor, thermostat, rear passenger axle, cleaned the distributor cap and cleaned the switch connected to the EGR valve.  Still horrible gas mileage, running rich, black smoke and bad smell according to the guys working on it.  Still throwing EGR code and they can't figure out the cause.  They said if they remove half the stuff off the engine (smog related stuff), so that it passes Oregon and Washington but not California that it would get way better gas mileage and performance.

Tomorrow, I plan to clean the throttle position sensor.  No idea if that will help.

I've got 4000 into this car that would only be worth 1700 mint.  

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts...?????

This should be moved to the correct forum.. I accidentally went to this forum for the older cars, and found this thread.

A lot of new axles are crap, so maybe the clicking is from one. Also, if the nuts are not tight.

Test the coolant temperature sensor. It can fail without causing a code.

Is this a CA car or all other states? For non CA, the code 35 is only checking the coil of the egr solenoid. If it is open circuit, or removed, you will get that code.