Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*..Changing from digital dash to regular, help..*

My buddy just picked up a 84 gl wagon 4wd, and when he bought it the digital dash is not working. What do we do? Is it an easy fix to keep the digital and fix it?(apparentally it all went out at once). Or should we switch it out to the stadard one, and if so, whats involved. Thanks for you help.

Ken

Oh, it's not too hard to change, you just need to change out the dash harness, which means that you have to take the dash completely apart. That is if your car has a dash harness, but that car may have the dash and front body harness combined, in which chase you'll have to change out the complete front body harness. So, are you ready to take that on?? Doesn't fixing or finding another working digital dash sound easier? I only wish that Subaru would have made a short harness that plugged into the main harness so that these could have been switched easily.

How good are your electrical wiring skills? Can you read the wiring diagrams in the FSM? Do you have alot of patience? Not to many people (2, maybe) have done a digi to analog swap. I'm trying (still) to get some of these digidashes repaired, had a small problem getting some parts, but things should start rolling again soon. As soon as I have 1 or 2 available I will post it here.

you will need the pin out diagram for both dashes. then just figure out which colors you need to connect. as an example figure out which wire from your digi car goes to your gas tank sending unit then figure out which plug on your new analog dash is for the gas gauge, connect them, move on to the next gauge. I have done the conversion albeit only on the gauges, dash lights and 4wd indicators. I did not connect the open door, light indicator, and clock side of the cluster. After 6 hours I had had enough. All the sending units, speedo and tach worked just fine. The cost to repair a digidash is around $250.

The dash harness IS separate, but you have to pull the dash and swap the whole harness, You will also need an analog coolant temp sensor, analog fuel level sender, and the oil pressure sender since the digidashes only had the idiot light. I have a working one, I need to resolder the connector at the back. $100 its yours.

The fuel level sending units are indeed different - I forgot to swap that out when I swapped in the 4WD tank in my wagon, and the guage still worked, but was really wacky. Full was still full, but half a tank was nearly empty - stuff like that.

Basically - the conversion can of course be done, but it's really too much work. Just fine a working digi.

GD

That depends on what me and the Tech agree on. I would like to have people send their old ones in, and in return we give them a working dash. So the old one would be a core charge. So the more cores we have, the more working ones we would have available. Of course, no core and it will cost a little more, but who doesnt have a non-working digidash? Yea I know, not to many of us. We will have to sit down and figure out how much labor is going to be, because we all know parts arent that expensive. Unless its a hard to find one. The rebuilds might have built in breakers also, so if there is a spike, it will trip the breaker, not burn up the internals. This could bring up the cost a little. But I am hoping to have them cheaper than $100, but thats not set in stone yet. Not trying to under cut you Andrew, you only have 1 dash.

Ken, I know that John Decker @ Northwest Auotmotive does those conversions but knowing that guy you will have to give up your wife or first born :lol: it's worth a shot. He's in medford across from pet country, down the road from import parts.

-Sean