Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big tires on an EJ....whatcha running?

Numbchux

I'm in the planning phase. It looks like the front spring perch will probably be the biggest limiting factor (I'm not afraid of castor bushings, and body trimming). 

I've seen lots of 27s and 28s, but what about bigger? 29s? Bigger (with a traditional strut top block, and without big spacers)?

My particular car is a 2004 Outback VDC, but other models would be relevant.

Please post wheel dimensions, too (width AND offset, or original application).

BF Goodrich AT K0-2's and I can't say enough about how wonderful they are in this size (255/55/R18), they behave like low profile performance tires on-road and are top notch off-road in snow, dirt, gravel, and shockingly good in mud.

http://www.scoobytruck.com/bb/download/file.php?id=880

I complete forgot about your rig...I've been using your tire calculator many many times over the last few days. Did you ever try those tires with stock struts? or just the coilovers?

Do you know the width/offset of those wheels?

Edited by Numbchux

18x8 48mm offset, and BTW on clearance sale now for $109!

They clear STi brakes with 20mm spacers and look like they would clear them without the spacer but I never tried. I also never tried them with the stock struts, but if it helps I would measure from the inner tire edge to the wheel well or some other reference point so you could check strut clearance.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=MD14813BMF&wheelMake=moda&wheelModel=MD14&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Baja+AWD&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

Edited by subarubrat

18x8 48mm offset, and BTW on clearance sale now for $109!

They clear STi brakes with 20mm spacers and look like they would clear them without the spacer but I never tried. I also never tried them with the stock struts, but if it helps I would measure from the inner tire edge to the wheel well or some other reference point so you could check strut clearance.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=MD14813BMF&wheelMake=moda&wheelModel=MD14&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Baja+AWD&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

Cool. With your 20mm spacer, your backspacing at the tire works out to be pretty close to the setup I'm looking at (I have a set of 17x7 +48s, and looking at 235/65r17 A/Ts). Ditto on the outer diameter. Due to the shape of the spring perch on the strut, I'm not sure there'd be a way to accurately measure it. I've measured the clearance from my existing tire to the perch, and it looks like it should work, but it'll be close.

I complete forgot about your rig...I've been using your tire calculator many many times over the last few days. Did you ever try those tires with stock struts? or just the coilovers?

Do you know the width/offset of those wheels?

Tire size calculator shmator.  Go to tirerack.com, they have a "specs and sizes" that will usually tell you the diameter of all the tires they sell.  Including the KO2s.

• Like 1

Tire size calculator shmator.  Go to tirerack.com, they have a "specs and sizes" that will usually tell you the diameter of all the tires they sell.  Including the KO2s.

Oh yea, I've been looking at that, too. Calculators are extremely handy for making quick comparisons of different sizes, but I've also been referencing the measured size (width, diameter, and weight) of several different model tires on tire rack.

• Like 1

Tire rack and the Tacoma calculator are epic resources in tire planning when used together. You  can compare tires and get instant values of size difference in all dimensions by percentage, spedo error, etc. You can also nudge the values to find sizes that are just right or within your limits, lets say you know an inch more than a given size is too much but a half inch would fit, you can try that out and see what size it is in seconds. Also if your considering the cost of tires you can find sizes that are very similar but huge in cost difference due to how widespread they are, for example on my Z the rears are 305/35/20 and the only all season performance radial in that size is $450 each, but by going slightly wider 5mm or so, I found a better rated tire BF goodrich G-force comp2 for about $220 each, very handy tool indeed.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

• Like 1

First picture of my friend's Forester with the new tires. This is a 2013 forester X Premium, with a 2" ADF lift (strut spacers, and rear subframe spacers), 15x7 +40 Team Dynamics Rally wheels, and 235/75r15 General Grabber AT2s (Spec at 29.1" on Tire Rack).

This is with zero trimming, and only a hair of rubbing on the rear of the front wheel well while turning (we will see once we start to flex it out).

36031794386_a747d78014_b.jpg2017-07-21_04-21-38 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...