Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 2 Ej wiring

Okay so I realize I asked this in a different thread but I'm still nervous about snipping wires. I'm converting to ej22 from a 95 legacy (Engine and Trans mounted in car now! Yay!) it is proving to be quite the electrical task though.

I am curious about how you Ej vets have been able to power things such as headlights and gauges. There has been no word about keeping the old ecu in the car to run things like that, but also nothing about the new harness swapping in to take over.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks! --Nathan

If you're going from SPFI then the temp gauge, tach, fuel pump, oil pressure gauge, check engine light and charge light wire are all found in the long rectangular plug that's right by the hood release against the kick panel.

It's a plug all by it self, not in a group like the ones that are on that plastic bracket with 3-4 plugs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It started and ran! Is there anything else as far as moving that needs to be connected? I have an ej 5spd behind it as well and as far as I know all of those connectors are connected.

Thanks for all the moral support and help guys!

--Nathan

Nathan, you are another inspiring me to try similar. So, did you keep a note of how many wires you hooked up, how many of the ECU you just snipped :) ? I can't believe you did this starting off thinking an Engine Control Unit was needed to run the rest of the cars electrics and now you have it running !!  Good on ya. Did ya feed a speed sensor to the ECU from the back of the speedo head unit  on the back of the cluster circuitry ? Some find you need to , others deny :)

Can you close the bonnet ? Is car std height or on lift blocks ?

Nathan, you are another inspiring me to try similar. So, did you keep a note of how many wires you hooked up, how many of the ECU you just snipped :) ? I can't believe you did this starting off thinking an Engine Control Unit was needed to run the rest of the cars electrics and now you have it running !!  Good on ya. Did ya feed a speed sensor to the ECU from the back of the speedo head unit  on the back of the cluster circuitry ? Some find you need to , others deny :)

Can you close the bonnet ? Is car std height or on lift blocks ?

As bout closing the bonnet u mean hood right lol as I am redneck all the way from the US and if I am right yes on stock height u can close the bonnet aka the hood lol

IV EJed my 86 RX with no lift no problim

Once I figure out how to upload pictures on here I'll make a post about all the connectors you'll need haha. It was pretty cut clean simple actually. I didnt cut any wires leading to the ECU, I figure for those it's not worth the risk, but I am going to go through and cut out any connectors im not using and pull their wires from the harness.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do about the speedometer yet. My first guess was take the speed sensor out of the Trans and see if it is run off a spade like some; if it is that'll be easy enough to convert to the old analog style of the Gl.

And yes I am able to close the bonnet! My car is sitting at stock ride height for now. Im swapping over Impreza suspension as well. Probably not the easiest way, but if it goes as planned it will be very sturdy and ready for rally! :)

Actually, thinking back. I might just do a whole project post on my car! :) I don't know though, we'll see.

Thanks again guys!

--Nathan

• Like 1