Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help with Door Window - 78 Brat

Hi all.  I'm slowly pulling my Brat together and now I'm working on the poorly-operating driver's door window.  It rattled in the door when it was down, came up crooked and rough, but with a little help (pulling up while cranking) it would seat properly all the way up.  Going down it would seem to operate normal (if a little stiff) for a few inches then fall crooked, wind to the bottom and flatten out, but rattle in the door.  I pulled the regulator, gave it a cleaning and greasing.  It seems fine.  So I started working the window up and down without the regulator and found it was catching on the front edge about half way up.  I finally saw what it was running into.  The white plastic window guide that rides in the front track is no longer with the window.  It was stuck at the top of the track.  The front edge of the window glass would jump and skip into it on the way up, slide out on the way down.  I removed it, cleaned it up, and seated the front edge of the glass into it and it into the track.  The window would glide up and down nice and square.  When I installed the regulator and wound the window down and up the glass skipped back out of the plastic guide.

So, can someone please tell me how this thing is supposed to stay with the glass?  The rear guide seems to be pinned to the bottom of the frame, this seems to have no such provision.  And which way is up?

Thanks,

Dennis

post-54530-0-58309900-1461450557_thumb.jpg