Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Brat, EA71 4 Speed gearset

Hi all,

I've got my transmission over at the re builder and he is having trouble finding one or two gears for a full rebuild. Just wanted to consult the guru's here to see if anyone could lend a hand with a place to buy new gears. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

-Best,

Spicy

Boy I would just replace it with a used one.I can't imagine the price of a rebuild. A good used tranny should go for many many miles...I have some Subaru tranny specs from your year.I'll did it up and see if there is any info on gear replacement... You working on Reagan's Brat? haha And again I would just find a good used one and it should last for years....

Yeah, I've been waiting on 3 different sources to let me know how much it would be to ship a used transmissions. Brat's around these parts are pretty much non-existent. The going rate for the actual transmission sounds to be $100, but shipping on the other hand...

Just got the call. The builder is unable to track down 2 gears. (I should know which two tonight). Anyone have any leads of replacement gear sets? My other option is to have gears made. I'm also reaching out to my contact that had my 1909 Pierce Arrow differential gear created to see how much it would cost.

I will keep an eye open for a good used one....Thats a 1600 right? If so I have one I could part with...I'll double check and let you know...

Thank you. Yeah its the 1600. I was really hoping to rebuild with all new parts but it doesn't sound like that will be a possibility.

I just called Danny, and he doesn't have anything as he sold to someone in Virginia a few years ago.

I have a couple 1400 fwd 4 speeds. I think, but am not sure, they are the same internally gear wise. They are in unknown condition but you are welcome to one gratis if you can pick it up.  I wont ship it.

Awesome, thank you. I'll let you know.

attachicon.gifsubaru tranny book 001.JPG      I have 2 1600 trannys  you could choose from. Or if this book could help you...We'll get er going.....I hope the picture works ...

I actually do have this one. :)

Question. Can I use the ring & pinion from this transmission and put it in a rebuilt EA71 transmission? Any idea if the ring & pinion are the same spec between the pictured transmission and the EA71 transmission?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/146568-what-transmission-did-i-just-buy/

Major update:

I spoke to the builder. The exact part that broke was the ring & pinion. Nothing else in the transmission was damaged. The EA71 4wd Transmission uses a 9 tooth spiral pinion and 35 tooth ring gear. It turns out the extra transmission I had laying around (unknown model) used the exact same ring & pinion as the EA71 4wd Transmission. The builder is checking the gears to make sure they are perfect. His actual words were, "beautiful" when he saw them. haha.

Brat should be back on the road in no time! Just wanted to post this here in case anyone ever had a similar issue.