Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 impreza outback sport mystery plug

Hello and it's good to be a new member of what reads to be a really knowledgable forum here!

Anyways I bought this car (for next to nothing) as a project with my brother and girlfriend to build a nice spare car, learn how to do body work and work on as a hobby to keep myself away from that damn tv that has taken too much of my life already, ha!

The car is in pretty good shape but needs some engine work. I've pulled the engine, disconnected all clips but noticed one plug taped and sitting up against the firewall disconnected without a mate.

This plug has 4 pins, grey in colour, and is just below the right side of the windshield wiper motor.

(I'm going to post a pic right away)

I don't know what this plug is, but I suspect the transmission has been swapped (in case that helps). this car has an ej22 with the 4spd auto. I've never owned an auto Subaru so I'm not sure of all the details but would like to figure out how this car has an extra plug.

Ok, so the cruise control would be hooked up to the throttle cable on the drivers side or is it on the passengers side of the throttle body? I noticed the cruise wouldn't work but didn't test the horn and when I saw the airbag light I assumed the click spring was toast.

Thank you for pointing me in a direction. I'll have to do some research, and probably ask you more questions!

I thought that's for daytime running lights. If you trace it to the end does it connect to a small silver box that says "HOT" on it? That's the DRL diode. I could be wrong but I thought that's what was at that location 

PS- I have a clock spring I'd let you have for a few dollarbucks.

Edited by wotdsm

I took this picture to show that it does look like I'm "missing" something from the top of my throttle body. Maybe this is the cruise control that was mentioned before?

3 holes in-line and all 3 are on top of the throttle body. I still don't know exactly what plugs into it, but this is kind of frustrating.

post-62763-0-03543200-1461728143_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I only had the throttle cable going to the throttle body. Does that mean my car is wired for cruise, but does not actually have cruise? The switch is on the dash but I couldn't get it working....

I wish I could do some troubleshooting on that part of it but I'm currently still rebuilding the engine.

If it had cruise you should still have a little stalk on the right side on the steering wheel with the cruise set/coast button. If it does not have that stalk it didn't have cruise.

If it does have the stalk, its possible the servo malfunctioned and was removed at some point.

Do the 99 impreza's use a vacuum pump for the servo? I notice I only have one cable coming from the gas pedal and going to the throttle body, I have that unplugged mystery clip on the firewall as well....

I feel like I'm starting to figure this out...maybe

Ok, so after searching for pictures online and taking in some of the info you folks have provided I'm going to go ahead and say; my car had a cruise switch installed in the dash by a previous owner, who just happened to not finish the job of setting up a cruise system. It's really nerve wracking to have a connector that's just sitting unplugged and hanging from the firewall...

Mono steering wheel would have come from a newer Impreza I think. I don't remember that being an option on a 99, though I could be wrong.

Probably bought it on eBay and put it in the car.

If the wiring seems to all be there. (Switch on the dash is connected, wheel switch is connected, brake and clutch switches) then you should be able to get the servo and vacuum pump and finish the install and have cruise control.