Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyal auto questions

When I push the orange button on the shifter the 4x4 engages but when I release button it disengages. Also just in front of the shifter is a black push type button that has no effect when pushed. I can't imagine having to hold a button in to use 4x4. I don't have owners manual.

I just put new tires on today and on the freeway at 70 mpg I was at 4250 rpm. It didn't feel comfortable at all. I was looking for another gear but it's an automatic. Is that normal?

The black button allows you to move the shifter without the key.

Orange button function sounds normal, except that it should click and stay down, click again and stay up. I had to fix that on one of mine.

With the automatic 3AT transmission, 65mph is right about 4000rpm. Completely normal.

• Like 1

I'm glad somebody is having the same problem, I've been trying to find the fix but I haven't been successful. 4wd engages so I assume I have good vacuum. I've been in the middle of front bearing replacement so I haven't driven it or farted with it lately.

I'll let you know if I find the problem.

Edit: Dave T will you please elaborate on your fix?

Edited by donuteater

The 4wd select is electric, no vacuum involved. What I found in my broken switch was that a piece of the plastic housing of the switch broke off. Remove the screw under the button. The button comes out, be careful of the wires. I'll see about getting a picture of the repair, easier than trying to explain. I used a small screw to hold the broken piece onto the switch.

• Like 1

My Brat had a similar problem and would not stay engaged when the button was released. I found that the end of the little spring loaded metal piece inside was worn round on the end. I filed it back flat and it has worked since. It is a little piece of rod about 2 tenths of an inch long and i/8th inch in diameter.

• Like 1

Ok here is a crazy thing with my loyal....It had been sitting for 8 months and a mouse had moved into the vent on drivers side. So I took it to work and blew out the vents. When I went to start it when the key was advanced to start I had no engine rotation but got electronic noise threw the radio, dash lights good, battery good. So I was pressed for time and ran a wire from starter solenoid to cabin. I used power from cigarette lighter to energize solenoid. It worked well. I drove it that way for 2 days. I stopped for a pop and when I went to leave it wouldn't start with my trick. It would spin over just fine. I reconnected factory wire to solenoid and it started. I'm not sure wassup with this car but a do love it so far. I scrubbed the moss off of it. Out here in Washington anything setting for one winter will grow alge. I'll try and learn about posting pics.

Just a random question because I saw it in your posts, screen-name, and the thread title;

You know the car is called a Loyale right, not Loyal? Don't get me wrong, when I first heard it I was like wtf is a Loyale, but yeah. L-o-y-a-l-E.

• Like 1