Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to tell if torsion bar has been reclocked?

I have an 86 BRAT and it seems to sit much higher in the rear end. I put a 2 inch lift in the front and that basically leveled it out. It also seems very stiff in the rear, as if it's oversprung. Is there a way to tell if a previous owner has clocked the torsion bar up? I've never tried adjusting it, but if I could determine it was adjusted up, I'd clock it back down and add some lift blocks to regain the ride height.

My Brat has never been reclocked though I did do it once in the past to one of my previous Brats. Gen 2 Brats have about an inch and a half rake to them which you can bump to around two by adjusting it. If the front springs are weak or adjusted all the way down, it'll look that way. If the rear had been reclocked to lift it, it wouldn't just be stiff, it'd be like riding in a brick. All the Brats ride still in the rear. It's just torsion bar flex and there's nothing you can do to change that.

It's just torsion bar flex and there's nothing you can do to change that.

I wouldn't say that unless you want to keep the rig bone stock. You can swap 3rd gen suspension under it so it has rear struts which would be fairly easy to do when doing a lift kit. You could also swap to a ej suspension or put in solid axles.

I wouldn't say that unless you want to keep the rig bone stock. You can swap 3rd gen suspension under it so it has rear struts which would be fairly easy to do when doing a lift kit. You could also swap to a ej suspension or put in solid axles.

It just so happens I have a 3rd gen parts car, maybe this is what I should do. How do you 'break' the torsion bar so you don't have the EA82 springs adding to the torsion bar rather than replacing it?

Edited by musubk