Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of buying BAJA good/bad input?

I'm thinking of buying a 05 or 06 Baja , we really like our new outback and always liked the baja.

Anything good or bad that anyone cares to give me some feedback on?

Engine issues ( this seems to be the years with the possible head gasket issues)

Average MPG ( I read everything from 19 to 30)

what are the major maintenance issues or requirements? do these year engines require valve adjusting?

Thanks for any Input.

No valve adjustments needed. Can't speak to MPG since mine is heavily modded.

/Chris Walken "I gotta tell you, your gonna want that turbo" / The performance of the NA version is anemic, the turbo is much peppier and it can easily be upgraded to STi or better performance.

I have lifted mine, doubled the Hp, put on larger tires, ran it like I stole it and the only thing I have broken was my original axles with 160k miles already on them. They are very tough. It is a 4 place car when you need a car, and a truck when you need a truck, and several things in-between thanks to the bed extender and the pass through/folding rear seat. You will find out that it is very similar to the previous generation Outback, it is pretty much an Outback wagon with an open rear section. Other than *possible* typical issues like a head gasket there is nothing unusual or different from an Outback. Aftermarket parts support is choosing from a mix of STi, Forrester, and other models. You can find about any upgrade part you need even if it isn't specified for the Baja. For example, it isn't supported by Cobb access port but you can ROMraider tune it or drop in an STi ECU. Interior is nicely done, good compartments for storage and comfortable, the stock seats are comfy, heated and very adjustable but STi seats bolt in if you like. The amenities that the turbo model offers are well worth the price difference and make the truck much nicer to drive.

I see you have an 82 Brat, same here, the Baja makes a perfect match to the Brat.

If you have any other questions please ask, as much as I have abused mine you would be hard pressed to break much on a stock one. If your looking to mod it for better on-road mods you can go the opposite direction I did and lower it, upgrade struts/springs, swap to 04 STi type wheels you name it.

Good to hear on the valves, wasnt looking fwd to checking those very 60k as I do on all my other imports. If I get a baja, it will take the place of my daily commuter so I doubt for now there would be much modifications. As I do all my own work and have owned a few turbos, doubt I'd go with that model for various reasons, but understand why someone wanting to build a nice such truck might want it.

Yeah I have done quite  abit of reading aobut the HG issues but also see that not every unit has the problem. The few low mileage 05/06's I'm looking at all have great maint records, a few show that the HG's have been done. May have to spend a bit to get a nice one, but the plan is a nice one, great service history, and lowest possible miles. Like my present daily driver, I plan to keep it for some time and put a few hundered k on it.

Now the brat on the other hand....once i get all the rust cut out and replaced, that I will probably build up a bit.

Nice rides you got there....the baja, that is the same color I'd like to find and have found a few that fit my specs. Your Brat turned out real nice.

Thanks for the input.

The non-turbo ones are right in the heart of the head gasket issues. Luckily, those do not (almost ever!) fail catastrophically. They start by leaking oil externally, and when they get really bad, they burn a little coolant. Check your fluids regularly, and it won't leave you stranded. My wife's '03 Outback has had head gasket symptoms since we got it, almost 50k miles ago. Subaru did update the head gasket part number, so as long as it's done with new OEM gaskets, and torqued properly, it shouldn't be an issue for a long time to come.

The only other engine option is the turbo, which has a more stout engine, but the turbo adds complexity and therefore higher maintenance. While fun, I don't recommend it for a daily driver.

My wife very much wants a baja, so I've got my eyes out for a blown up one, and then I'll swap the drivetrain from our '04 Outback VDC into it....

Hi,

What engine/year is in your 'new outback'? Since you've had Turbo'd Subarus you probably have a reference point for whether the NA is Enuff.

This might be useful: http://www.cars101.com/baja.html

Also, I-Active valves (VVL intake side) on 06+ were avl., but not noted on the link above - so not sure Baja's got those or not....bumped hp/torque a bit.

Don't take this as arguing w/subarubrat's comments, as I'm no mechanic. But I'd double-check on the valve adjustments (screw-type on the SOHC; Buckets on the DOHC turbos, IIRC???), as I thought only the early '90's 2.2 and 2.5 have the HLA's that 'auto-adjust'.

Also, I'm not a fan of Subaru's turbo'd EJ205/EJ255/EJ257 series of engines>>>>Unless you get a low mile, 'granny-driven', one-owner, maintenance history from Day One....seen too many broken ringlands, blown turbos, and more....but I'm inferring you knew that.

Edited by wtdash

I would suggest driving both the NA and the turbo to see if you can live with the NA, turbo Bajas are reliable, they are racking up the same miles as the NA.

I wouldn't call them unreliable. But higher-maintenance. They're more finicky about when they get maintenance, and what parts/fluids are used. I don't think the parts failure percentage is any higher, but there are more parts involved, which does mean more failures. So for someone hoping to own the car to 300k miles or more, the SOHC non-turbo engine will probably cost considerably less (in time and money) in maintenance.

And no, Bajas were not available with the VVT.

True that the more performance you add the more crucial the proper maintenance is, and the basic cost of that maintenance is higher. You can't dump walmart label dino oil into your 911 Turbo and expect good results. Appropriate maintenance is not what I would call a draw back though, it is a simple fact of life like needing premium gas Vs regular, it comes with the territory.  Good maintenance can also be seen as cheap insurance, on my vehicles I do a total fluid swap every year, engine oil, trans, diff, coolant, even brake fluid. The result is that the inside of my systems look factory fresh with no sludge, corrosion, sediment, water contamination, or any nasty stuff. I have two cars that I might rack up 1k miles on in the whole year and they get the same full service.

It is accurate to say, as you did that over 300k miles the Turbo will have a cost of ownership that is higher due to premium fuel, fluids, and more rigid service schedule, but that's not a bad thing, just a fact of life. I suppose what I am trying to say is I don't think it is a fair narrative to say "Don't buy a turbo because you will have to maintain it properly according the the manufacturer's specifications."

Edited by subarubrat

Well, you might call it a fact of life. But a higher cost of ownership is definitely a tick in the "con" column for virtually anyone. For some people it certainly might be worth it for the extra power. But not for many, which is why I don't recommend them for a Daily Driver.

• Like 1

Thanks for the continued feedback folks....was out of town and not near a computer since friday.

Ive never owned another subaru that is a turbo. But Ive owned several turbo'd vehicles. Our presnt subaru is a 2016 Outback. If I were buying something new and me being the only owner I might consider a turbo. But also this is to be my commuter. Though BAJA mpg sux by most standards, I do want it to be somewhat tolerable and turbos usually arent in that arena.

I do all my own Pm as well as major maint rebuilds,etc......and yes also own a porsche 911, where getting good quality oil for solid tappet engines is nowhere local anymore. I as well am overly meticulous on all engines I own. (12 of them) Our recent sale of a 2003 camry was 420k miles, with an engine interior that looked like new at my last 60k valve inspection prior to sale.. So yes can appreaciate proper pm. The turbo is tempting, but my desires for its use dictate that its probably not the best choice.

Thanks for the link subarunut, will check it out.

Lots of importers bringing over low mileage EJ201/EJ203s (SOHC non-turbo 2.0) which is a direct replacement for the stock EJ251/EJ253, so that's possible.

But they only came with EJ251/EJ253s (N/A SOHC 2.5l) or EJ255 (turbo 2.5).

I will say that if you've coming from a bigger truck, it's a bit annoying at first since you can't fit 4' objects in the bed lengthwise or widthwise with the passthrough closed and gate up. You can't overload it as much as a solid-axle body-on-frame truck either. (and lord knows I did that a few times with past trucks wheras I just made an extra trip with the Baja). That being said, you get used to it pretty quick and how to work around it and it's much more fun to drive.

As for power output, the NAs won't win races but they will keep up with traffic no problem. It's peppy due to the gearing but it isn't fast, you're lugging around 3700lbs + driver. It handles better than any truck not heavily worked over. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The turbos are better but you're getting a detuned/truck tuned version that's more for driveable power rather than peak numbers. I haven't driven one but I've heard they're about on par with most V6 trucks which makes sense for the numbers. Don't think of it as getting a sports car, think of it as getting a v6 truck instead of the 4-cylinder. Having other fun cars, you may be satisfied to drive them fast and this slow (how I usually am) or you may want more power to not fall behind (sometimes...).

There's nothing overly exotic about maintenance for either turbo or non turbo, late or early models. The early non-turbos (EJ251 with a mechanical throttle cable rather than throttle by wire) had manually adjustable valves but it's still a long interval between adjustments. I've heard the DOHC models are a lot of fun (sarcasm) to change the plugs but other than that there isn't much to complain about.

thanks for the continued input guys.....

Yeah I came to find out that unit had a 2.0 transplant after a head gasket failure. and major neglect...I walked on from that one..and have looked at a few, Not in my possession yet, ( have to make time to go and get it) But have found a 2005, N/A, Manual, dark blue that I like, and made an offer on. Great maint records and great overall shape, 140k with timing belt job done.

I still have my Chevy truck, and a ford expedition for those truck needs. This is to be my new work commuter.

• 3 weeks later...

Have looked at a few. Drove a few hundred miles to buy a 2005 na. 140k miles, dark blue, extremely clean, runs great.

But very well documented Maintensnce wise. Does have external weeping

Head gaskets, but I already have the parts to do a total reseal. So far have driven it about

1500 miles, avg 28-29. Look fwd to making it mine and the way I want it to be. Thanks

To this forum for all the input.

post-58831-0-90313600-1464872981_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm thinking of buying a 05 or 06 Baja , we really like our new outback and always liked the baja.

Anything good or bad that anyone cares to give me some feedback on?

Engine issues ( this seems to be the years with the possible head gasket issues)

Average MPG ( I read everything from 19 to 30)

what are the major maintenance issues or requirements? do these year engines require valve adjusting?

Thanks for any Input.

I've owned an 05 Baja since 07. It's been Very, very good to me. Pretty user friendly for Preventative maintenance! MPG 20-28; I coast whenever possible.I get 50K out of my front brakes with an Automatic. I drive 11000+/- miles per year. Average driver would probably get 19-26 mpg. My daughter says that I drive like an old man. My only complaints are the body lines aren't parallel to the ground; so backing up is a little tricky(for me). And the keyless remote is designed inconveniently. Just AWKWARD. But that's a "Subaru" problem. I think you'll love the Baja though. It's basically a Legacy with a small truck bed.

Have an '03 Baja (first year only ones in yellow and no turbo then) for my wife, a nurse. Love it...  Put electronic rust proofing on it that same fall we got it. Have never replaced exhaust and there is hardly anything rusted except maybe what came from the factory/dealer. Looks like new inside, underneath and especially outside. BTW... 85K on it now and live in Nebraska so lotsa rain, snow, ice, salt and sand COLD and HOT. Have hauled alot in it carefully and even once a big Harley from Sturgis to Omaha. Got 30 going up empty (on Premium) but about 20 coming back fully loaded.

Got my darling bride a '08 Smartcar (no... it wasn't really... but she thought it was cute) so guess who got the Baja.... which I have always loved). Now last fall we got her a '16 Forester since she has to get to work and after the (not really)Smartcar she wanted back the all wheel but bigger/higher/more open and didn't care for the Crosstreks or Outbacks. She sure wasn't gonna get the Baja back after she robbed it from me in all the winter driving months and left me with the Smartcar!!!

Have had a few issues (but only a couple) w/Baja. Did the timing belt and all hoses and belts/idler/water pump at 70K for piece of mind. I did standard stuff like battery, a couple sets of EBC brakes and last time got new front rotors (slotted) with rebuilt calipers I painted red. The passenger side head gasket developed a leak and was the only big problem. I put HIDs in the front and LEDs bulb replacements all around. Keep it up so you can almost eat off it. Stays up nice and most folks have a hard time believing it's almost 14 years old. heck, only 11 more years and I'll be able to put antique plates on it! Subaru dealer always ask if I wanna sell it since he has a dozen waiting that want Baja's.

I just simply smile and say... "Nope, I'm just fine with it."

Sure glad we got it!!! 

Hope you get what you want and if this helps at all...

Thanks for the continued input and comments....yes I bought the 2005 I posted pics up two posts up. Spent this last weekend pulling the engine and doing a total reseal to deal with the head gaskets and other small fulid weepages. New Clutch kit, and all new rubber under the hood as well as full tuneup...she should be great to go for a very long time...so far really like it and not disappointed with my avg mpg which is sticking close to the 30 mark.

The AC Compresor clutch went out yesterday, and it seems you cant find just clutches or clutch coils anymore, so a remanned compressor is now on its way. But at 11 years of age such is possible.