Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello i having problems with my radio in my Legacy 3.0 2007.

Today before i was checking the cable couplings on the radio it worked but sometimes went dead for a while and sudden it started again.

The fan control unit works well but radio screen was black.

Today i checked the cable coupling and started the car and radio was dead and wont start anymore.

It started for a couple of seconds but went dead again.

Is there anyone else having the same problem?

I wouldn't just "reflow" the solder as it'll just happen again.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a 45-60 watt soldering iron. No need to get fancy unless you plan to solder a bunch of stuff in the future. A straight soldering will suffice. They sell braided copper as well. It comes in a white disc and the copper is spooled inside. The rubber disc helps to protect the copper. Also, buy a reel of thinnest lead-free solder. I say thinnest as it's easier to work with and doesn't require as much prolonged heat to flow it.

Remove radio from car and power, and get access to the pins in question. Pull a section of the braided copper out, and let it touch the solder on the pins or PCB, etc. Heat it up. The copper will act like a wick and pull the solder into it. Just keep using fresh copper until it's all off. Then, go back and lay fresh solder down. If new solder mixes with old, it won't hurt anything. Radio Shack is fairly decent, and hopefully it holds longer than whatever the factory used.

Do NOT allow fresh solder to bridge connections it's not supposed to, or you'll end with a short.

• 1 year later...