Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have the infamous torgue bind on my 94 AT wagon. I inserted the FWD fuse & the bind went away. If I am understanding right, that means the duty solenoid c is OK & the problem is probably the clutch disks. My tires are all same make & model. My transmission fluid looks & smells OK. Multiple tranny fluid changes & adding Lubegard limited slip additive are also what I am understanding are next. A fellow Legacy owner said he just left the fuse in until it snowed. My OCD is already going nuts at the FWD light being on. Just looking for suggestions or thought on if I am on the right track. Thanks.

Edited by patcal096

Hmmm - I don't think the binding would go away if the discs were hung-up on a grooved 'basket'.

has the trans or rear diff been swapped on this car?

any cel codes? pending codes?

I have no current codes but when I checked for a previous code I got #24 which is duty solenoid c.  I have no idea on the car's history.  I have only had it a month. 

it was sold for this reason - it had issues and they dumped it. 

correct - do is multiple fluid changes - this often cures/mitigates initial torque bind. 

then i'd wire in a switch so you can simply leave it FWD all the time and then flip the switch if you need AWD from the cabin and no messing with popping the hood/installing a fuse.  really simple to do.  

what is the FWD fuse

Yes, the FWD fuse puts the car in front wheel drive if the Duty C solenoid is still working.  It is located on the passinger side on the strut tower [but it was moved sometime after 99 I think].  For the OP's benefit, I operated a 90's subaru for years with the fuse in but taking it out whenever it snowed.  No problem. Of course a switch on the dash would have been better.  

Yes, the FWD fuse puts the car in front wheel drive if the Duty C solenoid is still working.  It is located on the passinger side on the strut tower [but it was moved sometime after 99 I think].  For the OP's benefit, I operated a 90's subaru for years with the fuse in but taking it out whenever it snowed.  No problem. Of course a switch on the dash would have been better.  

I am going to wire a switch my next day off.  I am still going to do the tranny fluid changes & add the Lubegard.

Educate me, what is the FWD fuse? Something that puts the car in Front Wheel Drive only mode?

read your owners manual and then you'll get vehicle specific information on it's usage. 

It's only available in on automatics.

all AWD automatic's until 2000 had it. 

it's in some vehicles up until 2009.

H6's, VDC's, and maybe CVT's don't have the option due to different transmission.

manual transmission don't have it nor do they have the ability to perform in this way at all. 1