Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dilema - 83 GL Wagon with a 3AT (an elder lady's grocery getter)

I have the chance to buy what the seller thinks is either an 83 or 84 wagon. It's been off the road for 10 years and was his elderly mothers car. He sounds somewhat old himself so that would mean this is truly a grocery store and back kinda car. He doubts his parents ever used the 4wd.  It has 160K on it and from the pictures it looks to be in good shape inside and out. Ran when parked, but hasn't been fired up in a while. I'm not terribly concerned about this, these are pretty sturdy engines and I have a decent amount of experience getting them running. The body is straight and minus a very small spot completely rust free, it had a regular service history, but it is a 3speed automatic. I've read just a bit this afternoon about auto to 4/5spd swaps though not enough to know how much work is involved or what I'll need to do to source the parts. I'll do all of that research over the next few days, there are quite a few guys that have documented this stuff. I guess my question is for 800 bucks is it a moderately safe gamble that the 3AT will last a bit longer before I consider major work to replace it? Any thoughts? I'm selling my Fiat's to pursue this so I'd like to consider how much work is ahead of me. Furthermore being in Missouri spare parts or pick-n-pulls to scavenge from are few and far between. 

Eli 

Just couldn't shake these old wagons and have been jonesing to get back into one. 

Edited by ebarb

The 3AT in two of my Brats have been fine. There are a few members who run them religiously here and they do fine. Don't abuse them and change the fluid at 25k intervals. Run an aux cooler if it's gonna get ragged on. Make sure the band is adjusted properly.

To swap. All the obvious stuff. Plus a matching rear diff. Most (if not all autos) had 3.7 ratios, I've read that some came with 3.9. Also need the radius rod plates. They locate the trans crossmember and are different than the auto. The best bet is to source a donor car. It's a direct swap. And on wagons I believe the bracket for the DR lever isn't there. So that'll need to be fabbed or sourced as well. It's spot welded to the trans tunnel.

Any more questions, just ask. Bout to do the swap on my turbo brat.

• Like 1

I've run 3ATs since 1988. Oldest was an 86, newest 93. Got over 200 miles on more than one of them. Sometimes the pump input shaft spline strips out. Replace it, and go again. Not really had any other big troubles. Vacuum modulator. One of the servo tubes fell out in another.

I was thinking just 81 and 82 had chrome and 83 and 84 are black. Either way this is a black bumper unit. Unfortunately missing the fun cyclops light that came on 81 and 82.

Edited by ebarb
  • Like 1

alarm bells are ringing from experience - engine oil sitting for ten years and fuel sitting for ten years can and likely wil cause gummed up intake valve stems - hmm must be flat battery, get a stronger one, WHOOMPA and it starts, runs on two or three cylinders - bent push rods, fuel tank all barnacled up - you'd hope tank is empty so you can pull the sender to inspect inside before guessing buy price ....

@jono that's a good warning for me to keep in mind. I won't actually be firing it up on spot, just taking a break over bar to make sure it turns over. I'll be trailering it home where I'll take a look at fluids, hoses, all the stuff that should be looked at or refreshed after sitting for a long stint. It's a crap shot on whether the tank is dry or filled with varnished gas, but at least the drain plug is easy to access. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to change out the AT fluid too. The guy is selling two old subys and he was saying he remembered one had to be continually topped off with some sort of fluid, but wasn't sure which one had that problem. He checked the AT fluid level and said there was an inch or two on the stick, so that's hopeful. The draw for me comes back to it being a light duty car driven by an older lady and the fact that the body though covered in dust is in better shape then most of these that I see.

Is 800 a decent deal considering the work likely ahead of me with the refresh?

If I want a manual GL4x4 should I let this one pass and just wait till another turns up?

Edited by ebarb

We've got a couple blown 3eat tranny's from an 83 gl turbo and 84 gl wagon. I also know how hard it is to come by parts in our area. That said, I believe there'll be some spare parts from the 84 wagon depending on what you need. My nephew was just in your area and picked up a lifted 85 RX sedan for $800 so you're fine on price. Personally, especially after looking into the parts and labor to convert, I'd wait for the manual vs getting the auto now.

Think my wife convinced me to pass on this one. If anyone here interested I can get you connected to the seller, he pulled the add a few days ago. It's an unmolested gold 84 GL 4x4 automatic trans, power steering, power windows, good interior, A/C and is in NW Alabama. I'm going to speculate it was a one owner old lady car. I've got pictures and a semi grainy video walkaround I can pass along too. He's an older gentleman and doesn't live nearby the car so he went up a few days ago to take pictures and call me from there to answer questions about it. He would prefer to pass it on to someone that's into these older Subarus and knows what they're in for. Nice guy and I feel bad about backing out. Will talk to him later today to let him know. 

subaru7.jpeg

• Like 1

I was thinking just 81 and 82 had chrome and 83 and 84 are black. Either way this is a black bumper unit. Unfortunately missing the fun cyclops light that came on 81 and 82.

That is correct. 83 was when they switched to the black bumper. While a 4 or 5spd manual would be preferable, as long as the engine had regular oil changes, it will last just about forever.  As you probably already know, the EA81s are hands down the toughest and most reliable engines Subaru ever built... most likely due to their simplicity. Although not extremely high in HP or torque, they are dang loyal and are super easy to work on when they have "personality issues". A wonderful car to learn mechanics on! $850 is a steal for this car if I was you I would jump on it.

Edited by Sapper 157

This one will be a great one,  so hopefully someone from the forums will snag it. I let the guy know I'd put up a listing for it in the for sale section. I've got probably too much of an obsession with trying to find an 81 or 82 so I'm just going to hold out a bit longer. I will say it would be awesome to get this sort of a "barn" find and bring it back to life, but the plaid 4spd cyclops calls out to me from it's grave. So I wait till something like the one I had to leave behind in Nebraska pops up again. 

eli-and-ruby.jpg

• Like 1

Hi there Eli, I purchased an 84 4wd wagon 2 months ago for $400 from a Subaru shop that was given to him as payment to fix an Outback. He knows the owner very well and used to serviced the 84 wagon until it sits in the storage for 6 years. It had no reverse I was told, so he towed it to my place for $50 gas money. He suggested to at least rotate the engine a couple or more turns, add gas and let it run for an hour at idle, which I did and it sputters at first and let it go. I got the reverse problem fixed....the roll pin at the shift rod backed out (missing a smaller lock pin to hold the big pin) and it won't catch the reverse.

Anyway, to me if I like/want something and can afford it I will buy it, because I just hate kicking myself later on for a very long time. That wagon is a diamond in the rough, as far as modifying it to manual trans shouldn't be a problem.

Go get her!!! The shell is priority than 3AT.

OH one more...back in '79 I regret not buying the'72 Dodge Challenger for $900 This haunts me until today.

Edited by SteelyDel

i should have bought that red 100k mile amazing wagon that listed for 6k on ebay when it was listed on the auto salvage yard for a few hundred dollars in califonia last december. i appreciate the encouragement guys, but there will be another opportunity. this will give someone else here the chance for a super cool find. i need to thin the herd anyways. anyone want to buy a couple old Fiats? :)

Eli

Isn't the '84 Auto Models when Subaru started the Hydraulic Lifters, with Manuals having Solid Lifters still?

If so, the valve covers would have the "Do not adjust" sticker on them.

my 84 GL with 3AT has hydrolic lifters.  I got my car with 220,000mil on it and now has 250K.  my transmission has been great.  no issues cept the downshift modulator.  Easy fix on that one.