Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need engine bay pictures please

Dear God kind people of ultimate subaru please help me. I did a 5speed swap last year but long story short.. wasn't working out. I'm swapping the old 4 speed back in but I am in desperate need of some pictures of the engine bay as a herd of children moved my parts everywhere accompanied by a hustle to move it all out of the rain.. it's an 84 gl ea81 non turbo 4spd manual. thank you in advance!

Finding one in the first place wasn't easy and once I found one and got it installed I found it was stuck in 4-HI. I was also dissatisfied with the way I had to rig up the gear shift linkage. I really wanted the 5speed to be a cool thing but from the pains of the conversion forward it has been problems. Prior to beginning my revert to the 4speed I was asking around about rebuilding the 5speed and mostly got laughed at and told to junk the scooby

Can understand why now with a stuck box. What I canna understand is why people feel the need to do anything other than install the 5 speed and hi lo shifters as they were in the EA82. Some wanna retain the insides console. I fitted up an EA82 console to suit the levers action for selecting 4WD

3 posts - you didn't get laughed at in here then. I have done one 5 speed EA82 4WD box into EA81 body with a lot of forum help, questions and photos.

So, you are going back to a 4 speed, just where are you stuck ? My engine bay pics - can't do at the moment, relearning how to do stuff after ditching an ISP and OE that worked with it. And pics would be RHD :)

Hi This is Jerry, i make a 5 speed kit for your car and it retains all the stock shifters a consel everything is still stock inside of your car. With this you unbolt the old and bolt in the new, want to know more call me 509-952-2855 Thanks Jerry

• Like 2

I meant asking around town:trans shops etc. I haven't had the center console in years I did the 4" lift and it was easier just to have a hole for the shifter haha. I have the 4speed literally back in. I remember when I swapped the 5speed the config of the clutch cable/hill holder was different. I can't figure out if I'm missing some hardware from the 4speed or what. If I can see what it looks like around the clutch fork and bellhousing I'd be home free.

Jerry I talked to you last summer when I did the swap. You altered my crossmember for me but you didn't offer me a kit haha.

I meant asking around town:trans shops etc. I haven't had the center console in years I did the 4" lift and it was easier just to have a hole for the shifter haha. I have the 4speed literally back in. I remember when I swapped the 5speed the config of the clutch cable/hill holder was different. I can't figure out if I'm missing some hardware from the 4speed or what. If I can see what it looks like around the clutch fork and bellhousing I'd be home free.

Jerry I talked to you last summer when I did the swap. You altered my crossmember for me but you didn't offer me a kit haha.

when I did my 5 speed swap, I used an EA82 cable and cut some major pivot point off the pedal box to make a mounting point with a different angle.

For me to go backwards would mean another unmolested pedal box. Later, when I fitted an EA82 engine and clutch I had to scratch my head an awful lot before I worked out I also needed the extra cable pull 10mm of an EA82 clutch pedal

. Did you do same ?

MAYBE if you posated up pics of what you have we can all see it ?

Edited by jono

Yeah that's a stellar idea posting my own pics. No I left the old ea81 4speed clutch cable and just used like 39 lock washers to take up the slack which worked well enough and left the hill-holder cable zip tied off to the side. I will get pictures tomorrow to post up here. I really feel like I must just be missing a bracket