Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HG leak? Oil in recesses on top of engine?

05 Outback 170,000 miles

I noticed oil spotting the garage floor for a while. Tech told me I have badly leaking HGs.

Would there be oil pooling in the recesses on top of the engine from HGs or is it something else?

It is one grimy mess in there and I can't really see the source.

Edited by brus brother

I'm thinking headgaskets that are leaking oil will have more oily residue on the bottom of the engine. My '05 Impreza has a small amount of seepage coming from the bottom ogf the headgaskets, but not an oil drip yet. At 151K miles I think I have a bit more time before they start leaking oil steadily. I know the EJ253 (used in 2005) is known for external oil leaks at the headgaskets.

No that's no super common but it is indeed a leaking head gasket. The high pressure oil passage from the block to the head is located in the top of the block which is where the oil is coming from.

Drats!

Well, the good news is I have lifetime free oil changes from the dealer so I can just keep up with the service intervals and in the meantime, I can lease the car out to seal asphalt driveways in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

oil pressure sender may need to be inspected too.

^check this first. May not be obvious with all the grime and stuff in there, but the oil pressure sender under the alternator was leaking on my 2000 and oil was pooling up everywhere on top.

^check this first. May not be obvious with all the grime and stuff in there, but the oil pressure sender under the alternator was leaking on my 2000 and oil was pooling up everywhere on top.

Nah, that would be too easy. It is dry beneath the sending unit.

The various recesses to the left of that sensor atop the engine is where I have oil puddling. 

Ya , its the head gasket. I just did a HG job on a 2007 obw. Same symptom, oil pooling on drivers side. They had me diagnosis it last year and have tried living with it ... oil stink was to much for her. New HG's and its all good.  

Well, mine is on the passenger side so...  maybe... nah... I see HGs in my future.

I wonder if this external oil leak may also have an internal component that killed the cat on the passenger side... 

Changed the O2 sensors and plugs were fine so can't explain what caused the friggin' P0420 failed cat on the passenger bank.

Edited by brus brother

When I had leaks from the oil pressure sensor on two subarus, it was pretty dry under the sensors but pooled on the drivers side on top of the engine.  So I wouldn't reject the oil sensor leak possibility.  Plus, it's hard for me to understand how the oil could leak up from the HG.  Maybe someone can explain.

When I had leaks from the oil pressure sensor on two subarus, it was pretty dry under the sensors but pooled on the drivers side on top of the engine.  So I wouldn't reject the oil sensor leak possibility.  Plus, it's hard for me to understand how the oil could leak up from the HG.  Maybe someone can explain.

Somebody already did.... :ph34r:

No that's not super common but it is indeed a leaking head gasket. The high pressure oil passage from the block to the head is located in the top of the block which is where the oil is coming from.