Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new gen 1 brat owner need help "unlowering"..

hello all! some on here may be familiar with the brat i just got..it was a long time build by the prior owner..he did an awesome job on it..and unfortunately had to let go of her..i promised him I'd take care and finish the build! i WILL..but my first step is to get it back to stock stance. anyone be willing to let me know what i need to track down to do this? im no good with suspension..i read the front struts on gen 1's are rare..any other options? rear he said he put chevy luv parts on.im not sure..im hoping rear i just need shocks..i apologize..its SO lowww i cant get under it yet..i have a broken leg holding me back..unfortunately..just trying to get the experts advice as i research further..i thank everyone in advance and WILL post pics as i go! thanks!!

that's what i figured..oh well..i guess i begin the search! thanks! anybody know if there are ANY other options? I've searched here but nothing conclusive..pardon my newb status..im TRYING! i appreciate ALL the help and advice..gonna be a LONG build but worth it! VERY excited to FINALLY be part of the gen 1 owners!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bump to top..as i STILL need front strut replacement options! the ones on ebay i got were McPherson inserts..my problem is i have NO struts at all! the prior owner tossed the old ones..im all set in rear, but front options seem limited..? im not looking for anything crazy JUST options to get her back to stock stance or close?? ive searched and googled til my eyes bleed..nothing concrete..except that the gen 1 brat front struts are near impossible to find..ive got gen 2 gl wagon i might just pull the struts and see if possible..ANY other options? or I'll just start looking for a donor generation 1 brat..thanks all!

oh..and the springs he gave me look as if they were cut...so im outta luck on springs too..sooo...that donor brat search looking like best option..unless someone knows of a set or wants a lowered set of struts n shocks n springs?!!;)

I bought KYB shocks from Summit Racing about 5 years ago. The spring seat was way bigger on the new shock so I took all the new and old bits to a suspension guy and he put a bigger diameter spring in to fit the strut and matching top plate. I cant remember exactly how he did it - I'd have to take it out and look. My point is that a wider diameter spring fits no trouble. It wasn't very expensive to have it all sorted as the guy just had to get the parts I had to fit together. Only comment is that my new springs are way too hard. Going over speed bumps feels like crashing. One day I'll have them swapped to softer springs but I haven't got aroung to it yet.