Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This fell out of my gl!

Funny you should ask. Motor has about 260000ish miles feels very tired compared to my 88 with 158000 it had some ofthe vac lines plugged so I reconnected them and it ran stronger but started backfiring when the rpms dropped from 4k to 2k sounded like a 9mm going off under my seat startled the crap out of me and the car next to me. I just bought this hatch today and was driving home from Seattle going about 75-80mph my follow car told me it fell out the bottom but they couldn't say where from

Edited by Stihlman

''Does that mean that my muffler is literally shot full of holes internally?''

not necessarily. but not impossible. depending on the muffler and how it channels exhaust its likely that those bits manage to snake their way around and eventually exit the tailpipe. the converter itself isnt that dense to penetrate metal unless under a crazy amount of force. and the compressive forces required to do so wouldnt effectively be able to build up behind those bits to effectively shoot them through your exhaust system. its not impossible. but very unlikely. but would be kinda cool. asides from the destroying stuff and potentially hurting people

Looks like burned out catalytic core.  Normal working core is not black.  I once had the core dislodge in one of mine.  It moved around and mostly blocked the exhaust in the cat.  The car ran pathetically.  Weak.  Didn't want to accelerate.  Got it home.  Did a few tests, and discovered the cause mentioned above. 

Could have just failed due to age.  Or running rich, burning lots of oil, O2 sensor out of whack - but not so out as to trigger a trouble code.