Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is a good multimeter?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 winginit

winginit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • southbury connecticut

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

looking for a very good meter,  maybe in  the 1 or 2 hundred $ range,  i have two cheap ones and they suck!  Thanks

#2 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Silver Subscribers
  • 3,242 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

fluke? (the brand)

I dunno - we have one the other half got many years ago - not available anymore - but it works beautifully.

#3 Subbieguy1

Subbieguy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • NW PA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Fluke

#4 Subbieguy1

Subbieguy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • NW PA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

116 or 117

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,563 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

There are a number of good meters on the market today and you really don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good one. Like the others here, when it comes to meters, Fluke is my favorite also. There are a number of models that you can purchase in your price range. I suggest you visit the Fluke website and check the digital multimeters out. The Model 117 may be a good one for you and should be able to do about anything you need to do. Whatever model you decide on I suggest you get an oversized case for it and the magnetic strap to hang the meter on a magnetic surface. A good set of needle point probes will top it off. You won't look back once you have one in your hand.   

#6 winginit

winginit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • southbury connecticut

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:11 AM

thanks,  i just bought the fluke 117 off amazon with probes and case for $225,  Done !   thanks men.

#7 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,563 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

You're welcome for the help. You will be real happy with the purchase and most likely will never need another meter again. You should also consider the Fluke TPAK hanging strap kit for the meter. It will allow you to either strap your meter to something or use the magnetic strap to hold the meter. The kit is 35 dollars.

#8 winginit

winginit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • southbury connecticut

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

You're welcome for the help. You will be real happy with the purchase and most likely will never need another meter again. You should also consider the Fluke TPAK hanging strap kit for the meter. It will allow you to either strap your meter to something or use the magnetic strap to hold the meter. The kit is 35 dollars.

i went back to amazon and changed my order, i found the oversize case the magnet strap and a bunch of probes for $150 so i got that instead.  thanks

Edited by winginit, 22 May 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#9 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,563 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

I think you will find it is some of the best money you ever spent.

#10 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 2,263 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

http://www.powerprobe.com
Its replaced my multi meter
I still have a cheap one for certain things but a power probe III and up is way more useful than any meter I've ever tried including fluke

#11 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,563 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

The Powerprobe is a very nice tool for automotive work and some other things too I suppose. The Fluke that the OP purchased is a more versatile and higher precision meter than the PP is in my opinion. Both testers have good qualities about them. If a person was only doing automotive work then the PP may be his best choice between the two, for most testing purposes. For doing electronic testing I'll take the Fluke.

#12 CrazMAd

CrazMAd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bellingham Washington

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:35 PM

I'm inclined to agree that the needs dictate the tool. Personally, I keep a Power Probe iii and a cheap $20 craftsman multimeter in my box, along with a lead set I picked up on Amazon (tips, clips, etc). The only problem i have is my lack of a MIN/MAX setting or autoranging ability.

For all intensive purposes, that combo works well for me in a shop setting. But again, it's never a bad idea to have a good dvom kicking around. ;)

Little side tip: those "grenade pins" that come in t-belt tensioners are very strong and grind down very easy. I keep half a dozen different cuts in my kit to fit multiple pin/connector styles. Stay very sharp too, for back probing. Cheers

#13 PleiadesUnited

PleiadesUnited

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Corbett, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Just my $.02. Our electrical guy bought a craftsman. I, too, bought a Fluke but if he's willing to buy a Craftsman I'd say that's also a good choice.

#14 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Most sparky's buy cheap DMMs the second time around because they get left in roof spaces, under houses, etc, at a job. A $20 meter will do the job 99 times out of a hundred for those who work with them day-in, day-out.

If you work in electronics, then a Fluke 179 (or the US equivalent) is my preference. The 177 is also fine but misses a couple of nice-to-have's (but it's $50 less).

#15 czny

czny

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Azusa

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

BK precision 2707B multimeter:

http://www.ebay.com/...4oAAOSw~y9ZC-X3

I have the older model 2707A & it has always done me well for electrical & electronics. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users