Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a good multimeter?

winginit

There are a number of good meters on the market today and you really don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good one. Like the others here, when it comes to meters, Fluke is my favorite also. There are a number of models that you can purchase in your price range. I suggest you visit the Fluke website and check the digital multimeters out. The Model 117 may be a good one for you and should be able to do about anything you need to do. Whatever model you decide on I suggest you get an oversized case for it and the magnetic strap to hang the meter on a magnetic surface. A good set of needle point probes will top it off. You won't look back once you have one in your hand.   

You're welcome for the help. You will be real happy with the purchase and most likely will never need another meter again. You should also consider the Fluke TPAK hanging strap kit for the meter. It will allow you to either strap your meter to something or use the magnetic strap to hold the meter. The kit is 35 dollars.

You're welcome for the help. You will be real happy with the purchase and most likely will never need another meter again. You should also consider the Fluke TPAK hanging strap kit for the meter. It will allow you to either strap your meter to something or use the magnetic strap to hold the meter. The kit is 35 dollars.

i went back to amazon and changed my order, i found the oversize case the magnet strap and a bunch of probes for $150 so i got that instead.  thanks

Edited by winginit

The Powerprobe is a very nice tool for automotive work and some other things too I suppose. The Fluke that the OP purchased is a more versatile and higher precision meter than the PP is in my opinion. Both testers have good qualities about them. If a person was only doing automotive work then the PP may be his best choice between the two, for most testing purposes. For doing electronic testing I'll take the Fluke.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree that the needs dictate the tool. Personally, I keep a Power Probe iii and a cheap $20 craftsman multimeter in my box, along with a lead set I picked up on Amazon (tips, clips, etc). The only problem i have is my lack of a MIN/MAX setting or autoranging ability.

For all intensive purposes, that combo works well for me in a shop setting. But again, it's never a bad idea to have a good dvom kicking around. ;)

Little side tip: those "grenade pins" that come in t-belt tensioners are very strong and grind down very easy. I keep half a dozen different cuts in my kit to fit multiple pin/connector styles. Stay very sharp too, for back probing. Cheers

• 1 year later...

Most sparky's buy cheap DMMs the second time around because they get left in roof spaces, under houses, etc, at a job. A $20 meter will do the job 99 times out of a hundred for those who work with them day-in, day-out.

If you work in electronics, then a Fluke 179 (or the US equivalent) is my preference. The 177 is also fine but misses a couple of nice-to-have's (but it's $50 less).

• Like 1