Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, no speedometer, check engine light

Ok, last night on way home after work, doing about 65MPH on freeway.  All of a sudden the speedometer goes to 0MPH & my car just revs free.  No drive in any gear but still running.  I am coasting & hit the manual switch & now I have 3 gears.  I manage to get off the freeway & stop. I pull the FWD fuse I had installed (torque bind issues) and the car drives & shift fine, just no speedometer.  About a mile from home the check engine light comes on but still driving fine.  I am going to start by checking codes & the speedometer cable.  Not sure what the cable would have to do with shifting but it's a start.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

Pat

Hi,

Assuming you  have a '90-'94 Legacy or '92-'94 Impreza - w/the Manual button.

Could be the cable, but likely the TAB @ the end of the cable gear on the Trans side broke off.

A bad VSS (vehicle speed sensor) will cause the car to go into 'limp' mode, IIRC - as it 'reports' to the ECU.

Yours won't have the electrical connector (unless it's '95+) but the part that screws inis the same:

speedoVSS2.jpg

But if pulling the FWD fuse helped it could also be a bad front diff, bad CV, or ?

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash