Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm at a point where I am not able to do any of the work needed.

My? is I've got a 1999 Forester with 252K with leaking HGs.

Should I get a New used 2.5L with 59K have the shop replace the HGs and timing belt before installing?

Or just have the shop replace the HGs on the engine in the car presently?

Thanks in advance.

What fluid is it leaking and how fast? If coolant and it's not a stream pissing out, then chuck a bottle of "subaru coolant conditioner" in. It's a stop leak product. If you're thinking of replacing the engine anyway, doesn't hurt to try and it might buy you a few more years of use.

If it's a slow oil leak, tossing in a quart every couple gas stops is cheaper than fixing it.

Is it overheating? If not, then try WW's suggestion...but one good overheat and the block can be scrap.....about 5K miles AFTER you do those HG's.

Should I get a New used 2.5L with 59K have the shop replace the HGs and timing belt before installing?

This is my recommendation. I wouldn't install any used 2.5 w/out doing the HG and Tbelt, etc. b4 install.

If the car is in great condition and regularly maintained, there's nothing wrong with putting a lower mileage engine in it vs. trying to rehab a tired one. 252k is a ton of miles regardless of what it is (semi truck engines excluded- those rarely go above 2k rpms and can go 900k+) and no one will blame you for swapping it out. 

Sell your junk engine for $100. Someone might want it for parts.