Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey subaru forester community I need some help! I have a 1999 subaru forester s in good condition but I'm recently having some issues with the clutch. I've only had the car for about 8,000 miles and when I bought the car I noticed the catch point was rather high on the car but I didn't notice any signs of the clutch slipping/going out. Recently it seems the clutch is slipping and in need of replacement but i need a proper way to confirm this theory before I dump money into it. I was told that if I can in second gear on a flat road start from a stop with out stalling and with my foot of the gas it ment the clutch was bad. I tried this test and I could in fact get the car rolling rather easy by just slowly releasing the clutch. Not sure if this is valid test though? Additionally I'm curious if it is possible if the high catch point is normal for an oem subaru forester clutch and if its safely adjustable so I can make the catch point almost on the floor either on my current clutch or a replacement. Also how I could do this? Thanks for any help I can get; theese forums rock!

That's kind of a balogna test. I can get just about any car moving from a stop in second gear.

5th gear doing about 55-60 mph put the gas pedal on the floor and see if the engine speed goes up while the vehicle speed does not.

Release point is high because that's how hydraulic clutches work.

Not sure on adjustment, but if its adjustable it will be on the pushrod from the pedal to the master cylinder.

That's kind of a balogna test. I can get just about any car moving from a stop in second gear.

5th gear doing about 55-60 mph put the gas pedal on the floor and see if the engine speed goes up while the vehicle speed does not.

Release point is high because that's how hydraulic clutches work.

Not sure on adjustment, but if its adjustable it will be on the pushrod from the pedal to the master cylinder.

thanks for the quick reply I'll give that test a try when I get a chance tommorow. In terms of fixing the release point to me it is really annoying for it to be so high. Hopefully I get some more replays about adjustment but if it ends up not being adjustable would an aftermarket clutch be a possible solution for a low release point or something? Or would I be stuck with a high release point no matter what?

Be careful when dealing with Gripforce.  They screwed me out of a flywheel.  If you order from them make sure if there are any problems you take care of it sooner rather than later and be aware you will probably need to use Ebay or Paypal to get any satisfaction.  Gripforce says lots of stuff on the phone about refunds and returns but they do not act on any of them.  Gripforce strings you along until it is too late.  In my case my refund was being put back on my credit card multiple times, none of which was actually true.  I was too stupid and busy until it was too late.

Edited by wirelessenabled