Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recharging A/C on 1999 Legacy Outback

This  may sound like an odd question, but how is the A/C turned on in a 1999 Legacy Outback? I"ve tried adjusting the various control buttons and the two that slide, one with a blue line by it, the other with a red line. I pressed the A/C button in and tried it with the button out. All I get is warm air. I presume it needs recharging. Does that sound right? If so, is that something that can be done at home? I know a few years back it had to be done at a garage with special equipment to keep pollutents out of the air. Now a different refrigerent is used. Is recharging the A/C a complicated job?

And the store kits are not complicated.

At least one will have a "stop leak" , not going to hurt anything to use that. Can only help for an old Subaru. My a/c works great now. But if you have the opportunity to balance it out properly that's a plus. You'll need the manifold kit , not just the 2 can deal , you'll see. But follow directions and you'll be fine.

The orings on the compressor and condenser are often the source of the leak.

Subaru parts.

The O rings are easy to replace. The parts stores sell O rings in a kit containing difference size rings. Easy enough to size up old vs new to install. If you have not done this before, let us know, so we can advise on how to recharge the system. There is more to it, then just adding refrigerant.

• Like 1

@ the risk....of over-simplifying, but will concur w/LMDEW.

On both my '04 Forester and '96 Legacy, w/no working AC, I just replaced the Orings (auto parts store) where they connect to the compressor and recharged 'em w/refrig. Both work(ed) well and was less than $30.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash