Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 timing belt cover difference on # 1 & 3's side

anyone care to guess what I found on the front/outer timing belt cover on cyls 1 and 3 ?

Seems to be a change ocurred about same time they ditched the motor bike style adjustable rear shocks

I should have said you were excluded from this one, and when I saw you had made an entry - thought - blast!

OK, one may be blacker than the other, but not the difference I found, so y'all can keep contributing :)

Hmmm, the parts listings are not backing me up on this either ya know :(

There is oddly two part numbers for the dizzy sides, front timing belt cover front bit. Affects the first MY of EA82 production

My trivia question is regarding the non dizzy side of the engine, the front cover where SUBARU appears on the front.

For this part, there is only one part number for the whole range, yet I have found two different covers, one won't fit the back cover assy without a slight modication

Edited by jono

I'm happy someone is willing to play this game.

8000km away ?? Hawaii ?

Jes, no superceded part number on this part, just one part number and I have two different ones so now know I cannot always trust parts cats even if genuine. And not spider specific due to the year mark cast inside is before spiders appeared.

A real improvement on those knurled brass thread inserts cast into the covers would be along similar lines to those 'new' sump plugs you can get with some thread missing and replaced with a green O ring. I use tiny o rings under the retainer bolts on these covers for a joyful experience each time they need to be undone :)

working on a photo shoot and some more entries :)