Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternate fuel injector for 90 91 Legacy

I have a bad injector on daughters 1990 Legacy. Can't find one at short notice on a long weekend.

It seems they only used the same injectors in 90 & 91

Is there a substitute off another Subaru or another car that will get her around for a day or so until I can get the right injector ordered and delivered. Thanks, all help is appreciated, John aka Kenneth

Appreciate the advice but you're right, junkyard didn't have the Festiva on the list, let alone in stock.

I ordered the part and Autozone got it quickly but here's the really strange part:

I pulled the spark plug wires one by one to find the cylinder. Plug was firing so I swapped the injector just to make sure I had identified the problem.

Sure enough, the problem followed the injector. Of course I tapped it a couple of times before installing but no good.

Daughter went out on 3 - cylinders to buy food and it started working again, been running well since!

Autozone said they would give me a refund since I haven't taken possession of the part.

I have often thought about soaking injectors in Kroil to free them up. I once freed up a stuck Bosch fuel pump with Kroil . . . . but that's another story.

Thanks for the help, John Kenneth

Yea, injectors can get gummed up, resulting in a poor spray pattern, or refuse to spray. Suggest you add Techron, or SeaFoam to the gas tank. Both are good detergent cleaners, and will clean your injectors quite well. Techron is my product of choice. I know it works well cleaning injectors.

I've installed injectors w/ rails off of a 97 in my 90.

If you swap them with the rails pretty Much any phase 1 90-99 will fit.

I'd say any 90-97 legacy for sire would fit and should be easy to find.

2.5l or 2.2 will fit as well as long as its the DOHC 2.5 IIRC

Edited by mikaleda

Yea, injectors can get gummed up, resulting in a poor spray pattern, or refuse to spray. Suggest you add Techron, or SeaFoam to the gas tank. Both are good detergent cleaners, and will clean your injectors quite well. Techron is my product of choice. I know it works well cleaning injectors.

Bad injectors are common on these older legacy's. I have never found a product that has ever brought one back once it goes.

Easiest fastest fix is to swap the entire fuel rail out.