Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys.

I have a problem on my '07 Forester. I took it into the dealer because the brake pedal felt a little bit "mushy" - not too bad but just a little bit. Well, it turns out that the dealership in Edmonton is what my brother calls a "stealership". After only 50,000 km [ 30,000 miles ] highway miles.they told me that I needed to get both front rotors replaced AND both front pads AND a brake flush. While they were at it, they also said that there is a slight weeping of oil from one of the head gaskets and that would entail a complete engine removal to repair. Total repair bill was over $5,000.

My own shade tree mechanic looked at the rotors and said that they were "virtually brand new" which is what you would expect from brakes after 50,000km on the highway.

Now, for the perplexing bit. My brother checked somewhere on the internet and a gentleman who is familiar with Subarus told him that the symptom is that of a master cylinder that is about to fail WITH NO WARNING.

I really don't know what to think about this. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

and as a PS, if I ever need another car and if the Edmonton dealer doesn't change their attitude, I definitely won't be buying another Subaru even though I do like the car.

Edited by gator1