Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback radiator leak - seam or crack?

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback. Manual transmission.

My radiator has sprung a leak and sealant has failed. I think I am facing replacement at this point but just want to clear something up.  The leak is on the front-right (passenger) side of the radiator on the "tank" portion of the radiator.  It's leaking from either a seam or a crack.. I don't know which it is.  I have attached a photo. Hopefully one of you can confirm that it's a crack.  Also, is this a common failure in a Subaru radiator? I've never seen such a thing before in any car.

Also, can I just replace the tank or do I have to replace the entire radiator.?

Thanks 

post-49434-0-72519400-1464723694_thumb.jpg

Edited by revtim

PLASTIC!!! I thought it felt strange for metal.  OK.. I want to make sure I purchase the right radiator since the engine is currently a 2.2 and I know it originally came with a 2.5 in that year so I checked the tag on the radiator. Now I am really confused.  

First, it says "Made in USA" which I think is unusual. And the model number shows as 45111 AC100  which is not the normal one for a 97.  In fact, I can't find this particular model number anywhere for a subaru.  Any suggestions how I can make sure I get one that will fit the existing brackets or what to do about ordering correctly. 

Also, anyone know if plastic epoxy will work to shore up the leak on a temporary basis anyway?  it is not yet leaking over the entire crack... just one place I know of

Edited by revtim

I don't know if it would be safe with your engine, I only know ea82s this will work - I put a short piece of solid wire around the valve on the radiator pressure cap, so that it makes a zero pressure system. Any leak will be far slower with 0psi vs 13psi. The risk is the lower boiling point at zero psi. If you do this, it is wise to check coolant level and air before every drive.

I patched a plastic tank on my wife's old Nissan Maxima with JB Weld.  It only lasted a few days but gave me time to order a new radiator.

Take Fairtax's advice and order a reasonably priced aftermarket replacement.

Since the 2.2 was swapped in to replace the original 2.5, I bet the radiator was replaced at the same time. I had to do exactly that when I replaced my 2.5 with a 2.2 in my 98 Outback. My wife "cooked" the 2.5, that it so badly over heated, and caused the radiator to leak.

I wouldn't be concerned about model numbers. Simply order a radiator to fit your 97 Outback. It is the size that matters, so needs to be a specific size designed to fit your Subaru mounting bracket. It is the bolt holes that need to line up to attach the radiator to the car. Dosn't matter if it is the 2.2 or 2.5 motors, both use the same radiator.

Replacement radiators may state that they are designed for both auto and 5 speed trannys. If you get one of those, you won't be hooking up any auto tranny coolant lines that are built into the radiator. The 5 speed does not use any radiator cooling, like the auto does.

Pretty much figure on a replacement radiator manufactured in China, no matter who sells it. Fortunately, they have a good reputation for quality. Yes, they will have the plastic end caps, but they seem to work okay.