Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tune up?

I'm about to change the oil in my new-to-me 1989 DL wagon.  Right now it runs well and I'd like to keep it that way, so I thought I'd ask about a tune up.

1) Aside from spark plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, and air filter, what else would you look at?

2)  I'm not sure when the transmission fluid was changed,  is that somewhat beginner friendly work?  Can I check it to see how dirty it is?

3) Is there any other maintenance that you would want to get ahead of, rather than waiting for something to break?

Thanks for reading!

-Dogbrain

I would check the brakes out.  Check/replace brake fluid. 

If your going to do the timing belts and idlers and coolant hoses, you may want to change out the water pump as these fail  over time and are going to require a lot of the same access as the belts.  This would also coincide with coolant replacement.

And if ya go in to do the water pump,timing belts,may as well do the crank and camshaft seals and oil pump it's all behind the timing belts :) and if ya get lost putting on the timing belts we are here to help ;) there should be a thread to search in here..